Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Unexpected Yoga

This morning was my first workout post triathlon season. I felt a little lost. Since April I've been working out with a training plan and a purpose...I wasn't sure where to start today. I dropped the kids off and decided to check the class schedule. The next class was called Unexpected Yoga. The description said "expect the unexpected in this hour of balance, strength, and flexibility exercises while getting the mind and body in harmony." I was pretty stiff and sore from the triathlon so I decided to give it a try.

I really enjoyed the class! I think it was exactly what my body needed. Three out of the four women in the class were first timers so it wasn't intimidating. Although I've been a member at this gym since May it was the first class that I had attended. Previously I was just swimming and weight lifting...and running or biking inside on a rainy day. Now that I can change my focus I think I'm going to try to go to at least 3 classes a week and then try to run three times a week in the evenings when Brad is home. I can quickly regress in the running department so I would like to keep up running 5K's as a standard run.

There are a few other classes that I'm interested in trying...Butts and Guts is first on the list! Nice name, huh! They also have a class called 500 Plus and is described as "500 reps targeting the abs plus a whole lot more with this fast-paced hour of strength training interspersed with short cardio bursts." Fun. Fun.

I think I've convinced one or two of my friends to join the gym so it will be fun to have someone to attend these classes with...however, I know I tend to get the giggles sometimes and I'm pretty certain that some of the humorous yoga positions would probably illicit some inappropriate laughter if I actually knew someone in the class! Oh, well...that just means I'll get a better ab workout.

1 comment:

Triple Trouble said...

I went to a yoga class years ago with my best friend. My throat got a bit dry from the deep breathing and I coughed, she thought I was laughing and the giggling commenced. I even snorted. This was an "official" yoga place, not a gym, so I'm sure they were totally offended. We were so embarrassed. I'm just warning you...:)