Monday, September 03, 2007

Doin Nuthin

We've had a really fun weekend...doing absolutely nuthin! We've tried to maximize the lazy days of summer these past few days. Maybe I'm just letting myself sit back and relax and enjoy it more knowing that these days are coming to an end. "Doing nuthin" has included going out for ice cream, two different playgrounds, donuts with friends, sprinklers, swimming pools, sleeping late, laying in the sun, frog hunting etc. Those are just a few things that I know would be highlights for the girls. It was the perfect mix of family and friends time and small outings combined with lazy times around the house.

Here is one picture from a playground visit with friends...Mckenna on the left, then Emma and her daddy, Ryan, Baileigh, Brad and Brooke...the only one missing are the mommies and little Lila.
Life changes tomorrow as Brad heads out of town for 8 days and we prepare for school. I can see the look of disappointment on the girls faces even now as they'll ask "where are we going today?" and much to their dismay the answer will be "nowhere, we're cleaning and getting organized." I'm dreading his absence (although we think he got poison ivy yesterday and now I'm kinda anxious for him to leave before I fall victim!) and reminding myself that I survived 120 days fine and one week is a cake walk. How quickly I forget. Brooke isn't used to Daddy being gone, and usually wants him to put her to bed...so this week could be rough.

(Random Side Note - In case your wondering how ice cream and donuts encourage a sugar fast (and a Univ. of MI game that warrants depression eating...I can't even blog about it, I'm too distraught), I'm proud to say that I've been pretty disciplined. I watched my family eat ice cream and waited to have a sugar free popsicle at home. I passed on the donuts too and even harder the great smelling coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I completely admit and realize I'm consuming some sugars in certain things...like my yogurt. I've already gained compassion to the serious diabetic and realized that it's completely possible, and probable to gain weight eating "sugar free" products which are usually higher in calories or other areas. I've basically cut out a lot of my snacking in the past two days and also started to think of more creative ways to satisfy my sweet tooth...like the sliced peaches I put on the grill tonight sprinkled with a little Splenda and some cinnamon. Yummy!)

Where was I...one of the worst things about Brad's trips is that I'll be relegated to running and biking in the gym in preparation for the Danskin in two weeks. I hate the treadmill and stationary bike, especially in this beautiful weather. And even worse, he'll have the MP3 player and Garmin! Watching him pack right now would be pretty upsetting if it weren't for that mystery rash all over his legs that we think is poison ivy...maybe its not so bad he is leaving!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve and I were waiting for a post about the MI game. :) I'll let him know it will not be coming! Kate

Jodi said...

So, this sugar thing. How do you buy things at the grocery store? Like, I try to limit sugar as much as possible with my kids, but something you would think is healthy like a granola bar had 13 grams of sugar in it. Do you know if the sugar is white sugar or natural sugar? Or, when it says "sugar," does it mean white sugar?

Organized Chaos said...

Not doing anything too scientific or extreme, it's just helping me eat healthier. I've cut out cereal (even though it was Special K) and eat eggs or fruit for breakfast. I let myself eat a low sugar yogurt each day. Lots of veggies, salads with sugar free dressing if possible. No more PB&J crusts off my kids plates, etc. I'll need to give up Sodium afterwards though because I'm replacing my sweet tooth with salty things like popcorn and pretzels etc.

Jodi said...

Sorry for all my questions! There just seems like there is an overload of information out there, and I love talking to a real person who is trying to eat healthier like I am. :) I just bought some bread made without flour. It's pretty darn good. I had some "light" yogurt too, but I realized it has Aspartame in it, which I'm not too keen on. I think it gives me a headache. Not sure. Anyway, keep sharing about your dietary changes! It's helpful! :)