Friday, September 19, 2008

MOPS

This morning I started a new MOPS program at the church where I think we're going to attend. As I was pulling into the parking lot I got all emotional and was fighting back tears. Five minutes earlier I was fighting back tears as I explained the lyrics to a David Crowder song on the radio to Mckenna...pregnancy always turns me into a blubbering fool. I think I got overwhelmed as I thought about starting another chapter...a new MOPS program always indicates a move and a starting over of friendships.

This church has two group that meet on alternate weeks...each group is about 40 women. At my table of 8 there were 6 of us that weren't only military, but Air Force! We live about 35 minutes from DC in a VA but you would be amazed how every other person you talk to seems to be military. I felt bad for the non-military at our table. It's nice though to feel amongst so many other women you can relate to your lifestyle.

At the beginning of the meeting introductions of the steering team were made and I learned I was sitting next to the table coordinator. She then proceeds to announce that they are looking for one more leader, ideally at her table, so that she could be freed from the responsibilities of the meetings and able to oversee the other leaders. I tried my best to ignore the announcement despite my past experience as not only a table leader but the table leader coordinator...I was very anxious to just sit back and enjoy the program and get to know people. Perhaps selfish, but what I wanted. However, after the meeting and getting to know some of the girls, the coordinator indicates that she is aware that I've done MOPS a few times prior and that I've been a table leader and that she would like me to think about replacing her at our table as the leader. I said what I was supposed to say...I would think about it and pray about it.

Honestly, I'm flattered and frustrated. I know that being a table leader doesn't have to be much responsibility, but my type A-ness makes me want to do a good job and make it a great experience for the girls at my table. So I'm thinking about it, and will pray about it...and odds are I will probably say yes.

7 comments:

Triple Trouble said...

Okay, maybe it's my hormonal self, but I don't think it was very fair of her to ask you to take on all of that at your first meeting!! Tell her to take a look at your blog and see what all you have going on right now :) You should give yourself a couple of months to get settled in and then some time to recuperate from the whole move. Relax and enjoy your (last?) pregnancy, baby will be here before you know it.

Tylertopia said...

Just my opinion...I really do not think you should take on the task if you are not whole-heartedly able to. You mentioned that you tried to ignore the announcement, and I don't think you are being selfish at all. During this season of your life (so many changes and new adventures around the corner) you would probably enjoy this year with MOPS more as a Mom able to attend without having to feel like it's one more responsibility added to your plate. MOPS, as you know, is to serve moms and refresh them....Certainly you deserve that. Don't take on the leadership of your table if it feels like an obligation. That is my 2 cents. :o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other two postings Melynie. This is your turn to be served and refreshed! Sit back, enjoy this pregnancy and new home and just being a mom at mops!

Steph

Royal Cuties said...

I'm pretty sure you're going to do it. It's an awesome opportunity to serve these women that don't know the Lord, and you know that. You're going to try to steer the conversation towards God weekly anyway. You'll pray for them, and you'll probably make an effort to call them and do playdates, - so what's an occasional table favor on top of that? What else are you going to think about once the wallpaper is all gone and the kitchen is in....

You've taken on much bigger ministry responsibilities before(ahem, Christmas Banquet).
Maybe I take the side of the overworked women's minstry leader too strongly ..... wonder why...

Chelle said...

Whether you do it or not, I think you have some sort of super powers. Truly. Baby on the way, 3 being raised well, and renovating a house. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Jodi said...

I wouldn't take on the position, but that's just me. Then again, maybe Chelle's right. Maybe you do have super powers! :)

Oh - when you were talking about MOPS, I remembered that that's how we met in WA. Remember emailing me ahead of time to get into our group? That seems like a LONG time ago....Sadly, that group is no more...

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Ahhh... MOPS. I took last year off, but I'm hoping to join again this year. Hope you have a great year with whatever decision you make.