Thursday, September 25, 2008

An Exciting Day!

Today has been an exciting and busy day! I had my first OB appointment. I saw a nurse practitioner/midwife...I will be assigned to her throughout my pregnancy, so thankfully I liked her! I've always rotated through the various doctors at a practice whenever I went in for an appointment, so seeing one person every visit will be a nice change.

Brooke did pretty well. She was very entertaining and filled with several questions during the exam, the best being "Why she touch your booby , Mommy?" Thankfully she didn't embarrass me at all!! Ahem.

The best surprise is that I got to see the baby and hear the heartbeat. I hadn't anticipated an ultrasound since my insurance is ridiculously stingy when it comes to ultrasounds. I didn't sense that I was getting an ultrasound because there were any problems so I didn't ask too many questions or point out that I usually only get one so I went with the flow. She found the baby quickly, despite all its insulation, and it had a strong heartbeat and everything looked as it should at this point. I've had a few "twin" dreams so the fact that there was only one baby was a relief...although twin boys would have been nice!

These pictures aren't great since I don't have a scanner hooked up right now, so I took pictures of the ultrasound pictures. Here is the standard profile picture of the baby on its side. The white line above the baby is its right arm.
This is a view of the baby on his/her (probably her) back facing upwards with the head up top and the right arm and hand up and near its head.Although the highlight of the day was hearing that the baby is doing well and everything looks good, a close second was getting our granite counter tops installed.
I'm not going to show the entire kitchen yet, I'm keeping it for the big reveal...but here are a few photos from the day.
When we went to the stone yard to pick out our granite we were told the kids couldn't go back in the warehouse with us...this meant we had to take turns walking around the giant warehouse and writing down the numbers and then switching so the other one could go look. It was a huge pain and some stones weren't well marked so I was nervous that we may have not agreed on the same stone.
The stone we went with was one Brad had selected as a favorite early on and I couldn't ever find it out in the stone yard and basically forgot about it and continued to look at other things...on my last walk through I happened to find it and it was my favorite, too. Hopefully this is the same stone he had in mind...we never saw it together!
We're making progress but now we have a ton of details. There is paint touch up, lots of trim work, 41 cabinet handles to mount, appliances to install, pendent lights to hang and a glass tile back splash that we still have to select and then install behind the pipe stove hood over the stove. Those are just the kitchen projects...I could name about 20 other unfinished projects throughout the house...I'm not holding my breath that we'll get them all done by Tuesday when the movers show up with our stuff...but at least I can unpack my kitchen boxes when they arrive.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Love, love, love your granite! It is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us! Congrats on everything going well at the OB. Glad you feel comfortable and everything turned out well with your surprise ultrasound!

I can't wait to see the big reveal of your kitchen! I'm sure it is just stunning!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous counters!! And your ultrasound photo is so exciting. What a blessed day you've had! :o)

Lisa said...

Love your counter top!!! I'm anxious to see the whole kitchen! You are working your butt off, girl! I love following your progree.

What a wonderful surprise to get an ultrasound at your appointment! I hate that Tricare only allows for 1 ultrasound now - you were really lucky! Glad everything went well at the OB's & that your little girl didn't "embarrass" you!

Jodi said...

OH - I love that stone. Someday I'll have a granite countertop....

lovin' life said...

What a beautiful miracle growing inside you. You go girl!

J L O

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh, those ultrasound pics came out great, even if they were pictures-of-pictures. Very creative, my friend!

And you are so funny, saving pics of the entire kitchen for the big reveal. Why do I suddenly have visions of Ty Pennington in a hard hat in your kitchen?

You should title your reveal post, "Welcome home, H family, welcome home."

Ha!