Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 Pentagon Memorial

The 7th anniversary of 9/11 will mark the dedication of the Pentagon Memorial. Being currently assigned to the Pentagon we're very aware of the ceremony and the various activities taking place today. Brad was actually told to work from home today because there are so many road closures around the Pentagon in preparation for the dedication ceremony and the probable appearance of the President.

Like so many other people, 9/11 changed our lives as an active duty military family. Specifically as a pilot, Brad has spent over a year in combined deployments and another year in shorter trips whose efforts primarily focused on supporting military activities that evolved out of our response to 9/11. Knowing Brad is now working in a building that was the target of terrorists attacks and where over 120 people were killed is really surreal if I truly try to wrap my mind around that fact.

Eventually I hope to be able to go to the Memorial site with our family. Below is a little clip showing some of the park still under construction at the time.

I was pregnant with Baileigh when the attacks happened. Now I'm pregnant again. I remember how overwhelmed I felt to think about bringing a baby into this crazy world back in 2001. In some ways I always have that same ominous feeling in the back of my mind. But God is good and thankfully doesn't ask us to understand his ways or how he works but rather to trust in him and have faith that he is in control. I think my heartfelt belief in that enables me to have more peace then fear at the thought of bringing a baby into our messed up world.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What an amazing memorial that will be. Did you guys go? I got a bit choked up at the end of that video... just the emotion welling up in that guy... I can't imagine. BTW... got the saying at an Uppercase Living show. : )