Tuesday, September 02, 2008

1st Day of 1st Grade!

Today our world changed. My first child now attends full day school. Why does that make me both want to shout with joy and cry at the same time!

Brad is off the remainder of the week to work on the kitchen so we were all able to walk together to school this morning. The walk only takes about 10 minutes but it is primarily uphill! The majority of the kids that walk live between our house and the school...we're about the farthest house that walked. I think we'll walk on nice days and when the schedule permits...or until I'm more pregnant and find the completely uphill walk while pushing a double stroller more then I'm up to first thing in the morning.


My first grader...so excited and so nervous at the same time. It was nice to have the time to walk and talk about her feelings and stop and pray about her day.
A quick good-bye to Mckenna...Brooke was in the stroller still trying to wake up. The doors open at 9:00am and school starts at 9:10! I love that aspect, that means I don't have to wake up until 7:30 to shower and get all the kids ready for school. Considering I know of a lot of kids who start school around 7:30am I can't complain!
This is my favorite part of the walk to school. It makes our neighborhood look so rural which in reality it isn't...but this is part of the path that runs down next to the road along a creek.
Saying good-bye to her Daddy. It was a little chaotic outside the school since so many people walked. There were families and strollers everywhere in conjunction with the school buses unloading, etc. I'm a big fan of the PTO already since they had Starbucks and pastries for the parents outside!
A final good-bye to her sisters. Baileigh almost looks close to tears in this photo. I got pretty emotional after she walked inside the school but held off any tears until I walked away from the building. I think I get more sad just thinking about this being her schedule for the rest of her life under our roof. She turned and looked at me amongst the crowd and I could tell how unsure and nervous she was. After school she told me she wanted one more hug but the line started moving so she was upset.
This is just walking out of the school building at the end of the day. I love the smile on her face because it didn't appear until the second she saw me...prior to that she looked a little overwhelmed and concerned about where I was and then when we made eye contact I got a huge smile!
She had a great day from what I can gather. Of course recess was a highlight. Apparently she made 2 friends that she sat with at lunch and that fought over her at recess. I told her she should be thankful for being in such a tough position!


1 comment:

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I can't believe she's in first grade... she could be in my class!