Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Needed Distraction

Tomorrow I'm flying to Indiana to join a crazy group of girls for a fun weekend. One of the greatest privileges and opportunities in my life had to be attending college at Taylor University. I credit a lot of who I am today to the four years I spent in the middle of a corn field cultivating my individuality and growing spiritually. Ever since graduating from Taylor University, a group of us have gathered annually for a fun girl's weekend. Although I make it sound like I've been a part of the festivities, I've only made it once! Most of the girls (I guess technically women) live in the Midwest and usually get to attend. Between our moving around, Brad's deployments, pregnancies, etc I haven't been in at least 8 years!

When they started talking about this years get together I grabbed Brad's class schedule to see if he would be away on a trip. Since he is home and I'm not pregnant or caring for a small baby I decided it was time for me to go, too. Each year they meet somewhere different depending on who lives where. This year we're actually going back to Taylor since one of my friends recently moved to the booming metropolis of Upland, Indiana after her husband accepted a job on campus. I'm excited to see this special group of women as well as get a chance to see the campus and visit our old hang outs. It will be an unofficial Homecoming!

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to flying after my recent flight experience solo with the 3 girls. I'm charging the kids DVD player to use myself and I rented two movies I've been wanting to see. I know exactly where the Starbucks is on the way to my gate and since I won't have my hands full and don't have to worry about scalding the kids I'll pick up a tall skinny caramel latte and hide it in my purse as I board. I'm almost disappointed my flight isn't longer!

I'll definitely have some pictures to post on Sunday. I feel bad for the timing of this trip as Brad has a ton on his plate. I appreciate him making it work for me to get away...hopefully the fog will have lifted a little upon my return.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Have you seen "Dan In Real Life?" That would be an awesome movie to watch by yourself. It's a definite chick flick! Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time. Nothing like a trip with great friends to lift you out of a "fog." Kate

Organized Chaos said...

Jodi,

Too funny...that is 1 of the 2 I rented. You have such good taste! :)

nilvento said...

are you not allowed to bring food on the plane anymore??

Really!!! that sucks!

I was just reading TLo's
blog and one of the comments after the SATC trailer was from a mom that was going to sneak in cosmos in her sippy cup she has on her at all times....I thought that was brilliant. And now you're sneaking lattes...tee hee hee

Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have an awesome time. Try to relax, enjoy, unwind and defog. Come home with a clear head and open mind. God has placed you in some amazing places to touch so many lives, including mine. Thanks.
Stephanie

Kathy said...

WooHoo!!! You are getting your Homecoming in... just a few months later! Enjoy every minute with your girls. Sounds like a blast. Old, fun, familiarity of Upland and good ol' T.U. Wish I could hide in your purse with that latte and tag along. I'll just have to read your post. BTW... after all this time blogging, I just now realized that Traci married Alex Falder (duh, title makes sense now). So crazy!

Double A's Mom said...

I hope you have a great time! You deserve it. I've actually only flown once by myself since Aaron was born and I really had myself psyched about all the book reading and movie watching I was going to do. But then I got in the seat and realized that I had no one to take care of but myself and I literally sat for the whole flight and DID NOTHING. Just sat there and enjoyed the peace. It was awesome.

I hope your fog gets clearer too on your return. This life we have royally sucks sometimes, but I think it just makes us stronger with every move. I'm thinking about you.