Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fall is in the Air!

I love Autumn. Although the other seasons each have something about them I can appreciate...fall is by far my favorite time of year. Specifically, October. I don't know what it is about this month, but even just the word October is my favorite month in terms of a word. Does that make any sense? My first daughter was due on October 28th and I was so excited to have a baby during my favorite month. I was late and missed it by two days...November is still growing on me.

I grew up in Michigan and the fall season brings such beautiful and dramatic colors. My husband is from Texas and when we debate on where to settle down some day I always have a hard time envisioning October in Texas. I'm never really a fan of temperatures in the nineties, let alone in a month that ushers in college football. The two just don't coincide in my mind. Since being in the military I've experienced the fall season in Mississippi, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington. I would have to say that NJ and WA had pretty fall seasons. Those other Southern states don't know what their missing!

The following things are why I love October:
*college football - especially Univ. of MI games...yes, I'm a guy when it comes to football!
*fall colors
*apples and cider mills
*pumpkin farms
*hay rides

*Carmel Vanilla Yankee Candle scent filling my house
*crunching in the leaves
*sunny cool breezy days
*back to school routines (I'm pretty type A about schedules)
*camp fires
*decorating for autumn
*pansies

My list could go on...those are just a few. Unfortunately I have another list, too:

The following things are what annoy me about October:
*Christmas decorations already out in stores
*People decorating for Halloween like it's Christmas...Halloween inflatable snowglobes?
*parents letting their kids wear terrible (aka inappropriate) Halloween costumes.

This October not only ushers in the fall colors, but it also landmarks my last month as a single parent! Although I find that encouraging and exciting...typing the word "month" just made it seem like a long time! Thirty-one days...plus another 7-10. Man...now that I think about it I'm barely 3/4 of the way there. I think I just depressed myself. Oh well...at least tomorrow I can smile and say, "It's October, my favorite month!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to October!

And, uh, hey--are cheerleader costumes appropriate?

Just wondering, 'cause I know this mom who wants to get some for her daughters.

Anonymous said...

Aside from all the reasons October is your favorite month, there is a possibility that maybe there's one that is unconscious. We used to begin the month celebrating a birthday for your Grandma Cote', someone that you look a lot like! She was just as warm and endearing as the month of her birth, and I've no doubt she'd be so proud of you and all those adorable girls--she would like to have had!! :)
Love you ALL, Nana

Anonymous said...

No comment....