Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Crappy Day!

I got home from the Y today to discover that Ranger had diarrhea! In the house. In most of the house. All over the house.

I lost it.

That is a simple and concise way to say I went insane, flew off the handle, had a conniption, a nervous breakdown, went ballistic etc. I sent the girls upstairs to get them out of the way so I could assess the problem (and to keep them from hearing my inappropriate muttering) and figure out a solution. In the midst of formulating my gameplan I hear, "Mommy, Ranger had diarrhea in Brooke's room...and my room...and the hallway...and a little in the guest room." This is when the tears began, mine and Brooke's who had already began voicing her hunger on the drive home and wasn't appreciative in the delay of her bottle.

I got the carpet cleaning spray, a garbage bag, some paper towels and a scrub brush and went to work. I quickly decided this was a loosing battle. Ranger stood inquisitively at the window watching with an "I'm sorry" look on his face. I didn't have much compassion at that moment. I had the thought as I listened helplessly to Brooke's crying, as I cried myself, as the girls continued to give a play-by-play of the diarrhea situation upstairs, as I tried my best to keep from vomiting while I cleaned up the mess on the hardwood floors, as I somehow found a way to be mad at Brad for this situation, as I tried to determine the cause of this issue by unfortunately examining Ranger's poop...the thought came to mind that I think I was made to do more then this. That this wasn't where I envisioned my life taking me. I can't say that I felt a lot of satisfaction at that current moment with my life. I quit!

That was about 4 hours ago. Since then I have had the carpets professionally cleaned by my hero, Tony from Xtreme Carpet Cleaning who got the job because he said he would be at my house in 30 minutes! Since then I have found compassion for Ranger who continues to have a bout of IBS and is running around the yard like he is trying to get away from himself. It's a little humorous to hear him audibly pass gas and then bark at the noise which scares him. Since then I have opened every window in the house (despite the rain and 50 degree temperatures) and lit every candle and managed to rid our house of the scent of defecation. Since then I made appointments at the groomer's ...both dogs need it and now that the carpets are clean I think the dogs need to be, too. Since then I decided Ranger is under observation and banished to the yard or garage until he stabilizes. Hopefully this won't require a vet visit. Since then the girls have both given me big hugs and kisses and asked if everything was okay. Since then Brooke smiled at me and did her best to give Mommy a hug (granted I put her arms around my neck). And since then I decided that I'll take my life back...I just hope tomorrow isn't another crappy day!

**Note to reader - I considered taking pictures for this blog entry but I thought I would spare you the visual...besides, without the odor I couldn't really do it justice!

** I can't make this stuff up...1 second before publishing my blog I hear a yell from upstiars, "Mommy, I went poopy, can you wipe me?!" Will this crappy day ever end?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW I know why you sounded so crazed when I talked to you yesterday!

That IS a crappy day.

But hey! Carpet cleaning! Can't beat that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melynie - I'm sorry about your CRAPPY day, but your blog about it was so funny. I get so entertained with what you write! Take it easy, girlfriend...

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome writer! The link to your blog is one of the best things about your brother's blog-don't tell him I said that though! And as a mom of former 'little ones' (they are big now!)I was laughing and crying right with you. Can't believe it made me downright nostalgic. Thanks for sharing your life!

Anonymous said...

Melynie,
I just picked a blog because this title is the most consistent in my life! I am laughing at all of your comments because I am also reflecting at the time in Columbus when you announced you were FINALLY pregnant!!! Times have sure changed and you are not alone in your crappy days. I have come to the conclusion that we are a Murphy's Law family and what doesn't kill us will make us stronger!!! Most of the time we have to laugh because our lives are so chaotic and so....nomadic, is there ever going to be consistency??? Probably not! But,with time comes even MORE flexibility, patience, humor at oneself, and sometimes, if not often, tears of defeat!!!! Who knew being a parent was so hard, huh? You are comical and doing a great job with the girls. Keep it up and just remember those crappy days because there is always a good laugh behind them when you look back! Trust me, we have HOURS of reflection as time goes by!!!!