Sunday, September 24, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Today was Brad's birthday. He isn't a big birthday guy so he said that the fact that no one knew it was his birthday today and the event was never acknowledged didn't bother him. This view point is an issue of contention within our marriage. He would prefer ignoring his birthday every year. When we were dating and I discovered his perspective I went to the opposite extreme and I celebrated the 12 Days of Birthday with a gift or event for a week in a half before his actual birthday. Funny how I don't remember much protest back then...must have been the fact that we had only been dating 2 months and he was still trying to impress me.

I wanted to have a cute picture of the girls with signs wishing Daddy Happy Birthday on this blog entry but I couldn't since the camera is being fixed. My other thought was to download a video of the girl's singing to him but he has the fire wire for the camera because he was making a video to send home. So I decided to look back at pictures from his past two birthdays and download something from the past. I discovered that I must have given in to minimizing the event because we really haven't done anything special for the occasion in the past 2 years. However, we were marking some major milestones in our lives. Two years ago we were unpacking boxes. We moved into our house on Labor Day but we spent a few weeks camping while we worked on projects and waited for the movers. Mckenna was only 13 months old. Hard to believe this is her third home!
Then one year ago we were just days away from opening our store, Meals a la Carte. Brad was moonlighting at the store every night in anticipation of the event. I can't believe that was a year ago. I'm realizing that we don't take long to get settled!
I wonder where we'll celebrate Brad's birthday next year? Wherever it is, I just hope we can celebrate it together as a family and it a really big deal...somehow I don't think he'll mind.

Happy Birthday Babe! Wish we could celebrate the holiday officially.

2 comments:

threeforme said...

My husband doesn't get into birthdays much, either. I blame his parents.(I can blame them because they admit that it's their fauIt.) His lack of interest is fine for his b.day, but I like my birthday. It's been an interesting process dealing with the differences over the years.

Anonymous said...

Thanks honey...we'll see about next year. I look forward to the adventure more than marking a milestone...Let's take the roller coaster instead of the merry go round.