Thursday, September 14, 2006

Soccer Time!

Baileigh started playing in a soccer team a few weeks ago. I say "team" loosely. This club is trying a European model for the 6 and under aged kids. That means that practices consist of mini clinics to teach the kids the fundamentals and game days are 15 minute 4 on 4 games to work on what they have learned in their clinics.

Other then not having a team photo to stick away somewhere...there isn't a lot that we miss out on with this style. She doesn't have anything to compare it to and I think it is a good way for the kids to focus on learning something rather then just being concerned with whether or not they win or loose. I can tell that the model is bothering a lot of the parents. Isn't that funny!? The kids are having fun and there are parents annoyed that they can't cheer for little Bobby who is a Tiger and scored a goal despite not having any clue about what he is really doing on the field. And we wonder where our kids get it from someday!
Baileigh with her friend, Madison.
I asked Baileigh to stop and smile and she struck this pose. Perhaps a natural? Seriously though, I've been really surprised and impressed by Baileigh. I admittedly signed her up for soccer after convincing her she wanted to play, but she says she loves it and is eager to learn. She is attentive to the coaches and tries whatever they tell her to do. Of course I hoping and praying that she grows up to actually play sports instead of cheering for them (PLEASE LORD, PLEASE...you've already given me 3 girls, isn't that funny enough!!!!!) and watching her play has actually led to a few teary moments for me. She just seems to be growing up so quickly and somehow watching her play organized athletics takes me ahead 10 years and I don't like it! I do like though that I see a little girl out there who isn't fearful, who takes initiative, who has a huge smile on her face and who makes me proud to be her Mommy!

1 comment:

Guessette said...

How interesting! Abbie just started soccer, and she is doing so much better in it than she did in basketball.

They do have the usual setup with teams. I did notice that one of the Dads on the other team yelled at his son a couple of times that he wasn't getting in there enough, that you have to get that ball and kick it into the goal. Well, DUH! That's what ALL the kids are trying to do, isn't that the point? And little Johnny is going to have competetion...

Oh, well. After that, I believe that the European way would put out better individuals.

Good luck! I hope it all goes well.

*G*