Friday, September 08, 2006

We're Home!

We survived. There were times yesterday I wondered if we would. Things began smoothly. In fact we arrived a little too early and had a full two hours to kill before departing Detroit. The first leg of our trip started off well, thanks to Tom and Jerry on Direct TV. Two thumbs up to Frontier Airlines for this feature! However it all took a turn for the worse when we were forced to circle above Wyoming for 45 minutes due to severe storms over Denver (our connection). This led to us missing our flight to Seattle.

Strike one. I wish I would have known it had already departed before I made Baileigh run 20 gates down the terminal in attempts to catch the plane. After receiving the bad news I then discovered my cell phone had died.

Strike two. I soon came to the realization that I don't remember what I did before cell phones. Have you tried to use a pay phone recently? I attempted too. I failed. There were 100 directions but nothing simple like how to place a long distance call using my credit card. Perhaps I was too frazzled at the moment to comprehend all the fine print. I must have been displaying some level of emotional instability since an airport representive, who happened to be around 70 and very sweet, asked if I was okay and needed help. Out came my sob story, not accompanied by tears, but a shaky voice and probably watery eyes. She offered me her cell phone and I called my ride to inform them of my situation. We were able to get on a flight leaving at 9:25pm (the original departed Denver at 5:55pm). The next 3 hours were spent roaming the airport in attempts to entertain 3 very tired and overly slap happy kids while scouting out nice looking people that would let me borrow their cell phones so I could continually call my ride to inform her of my schedule changes. I also stalked a few mom's for a while in search of an extra diaper. I didn't account for our time delay or Brooke's multiple poops so I was running low. That problem was easily solved by a sympathetic and understanding Mom with a nine month old. She was probably just relieved that I finally talked to her and wasn't really stalking her.

We had a little excitement when I realized I had borrowed a cell phone belonging to Kristin Key, one of the comedians from Last Comic Standing on NBC. We got chatting in the bathroom and she offered me her phone. I initially thought she looked familiar from being on our flight. Then I placed her face. She isn't really a celebrity, but enough for me to recognize her after her 15 minutes of fame. I told her I thought she had been funny on the show and that I remembered her joke about how her ex-boyfriend told her that when she was wet after a shower she looked like the character that plays Homer Simpson's Boss, Mr. Burns. I think it's the nose. She said that she was flattered that I remembered her joke...but not sure what to think considering that when I saw her I remembered that specific joke. Compare their photos...you'll see some resemblance.

Moving on...our 9:25 flight finally left at 10:00. All three girls passed out. Baileigh and Mckenna had been awake since 7:15am eastern time so to their bodies it was now 1:00am...you can't even imagine their level of disobedience, hyperactivity, and giddiness the hour before we got on the plane as they fought off the exhaustion. They were literally out of control, me too! We landed around midnight (sorry Stacy!) and it was 1:30 when I carried the girls to bed. They were all up by 7:15! AHHH...but we're back. And it's great to not be sharing a bed with a tossing and turning toddler. My rib cage needs time to heel.

No comments: