Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mega-Church

Today I had the chance to attend my Mom's church. It would probably fall under the category of a mega-church. Today they announced the upcoming opening of their 85,000 sq.foot addition. I stopped by the cafe just off the lobby, next to the bookstore, to buy some coffee before entering the auditorium. I had my choice of five screens to focus my gaze on or a large stage flanked dancing blue lights along the walls and ceiling. The sanctuary seats approximately 3,000 and they have services on Saturday and Sunday.

I describe this to you just to give you a image of my surroundings. This is the exact type of church I attended after graduating from college. It was what I wanted at the time. My Mom really enjoys this church and I'm glad she has found a solid Bible preaching church that she is excited about. As I sat there though and took it all in I realized how much I had changed in the past ten years.

Having lived in 6 different states in the past 9 years we've experienced a variety of church settings...especially considering we've lived in the south, and both the east and west coasts. We've been a part of congregations ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand. I used to dread attending small churches. I felt they had little to offer and the lack of anonymity felt threatening to me. As I reflected on my thoughts and feelings this morning about church...or rather I should say church facilities...I realized that I think I have grown and matured in what I think is significant about a church.

Don't get me wrong, I think you can have an effective ministry and be Christ centered in a 30 million dollar facility with all the amenities. It may be more challenging to find the focus and not be distracted by the entertainment aspect of the event, but it definitely appeals to many and can be effective. But thanks primarily to my husband, I think I have grown to view the church I want to be a part of as one where I feel like there is a lot of ways that we can serve and contribute. I know there are needs in big and small churches, but I've grown to appreciate recognizing faces on a Sunday morning and feeling a sense of community. I know it's possible to be lost in a crowd of any size, but I don't want to make it easy on myself. I think I'm at a stage of life where I welcome the accountability and desire the fellowship. Man, that makes me feel old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melynie, I've been reading weekly and enjoy it all the time. I wish I was a talented on the computer as you are or even had close to the ability to write like you. Thanks for keeping me updated on your life..it's great.
Love,
Stephanie Castile

Anonymous said...

i just want to be at church w/ you!