Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Training Funk

I road yesterday for the first time in a week. This is the longest hiatus I've taken from training in over three months. I'm disappointed in myself in how quickly I was able to get out of the mode. Apparently laziness and gluttony are my friends and have missed me.

Despite temperatures in the mid 90's I put in a quick 12 miles just to get back in a routine. Today I ran a 5k this morning. I'm still pondering this triathlon in a few weeks. I think I've decided to do it, but for whatever reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I'm training with it in mind. I'm finding the swim a little less intimidating since I realized it is 1.5k and not 1.5 miles. It's still a pretty long swim for an Olympic Distance tri...a Half Ironman is 1.2 miles! The 23 mile bike distance doesn't intimidate me...but I was recently looking at the elevation of the bike route and learned that definitely not "fast and flat" and has a lot of hills...a lot! So now I'm a little concerned with the bike and mostly my ability to do the 10k afterwards. I think the farthest I've run in training is about 7 miles, and that was a long morning...and I didn't swim or bike first. And...a run like this without my MP3...to me the thought is like childbirth without an epidural!

So, after all that negative self talk...I think I'll get online and register for that tri.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I have the faith, you can do it!!!!