Friday, August 17, 2007

Only Myself To Blame

I confess that I haven't been party to the High School Musical Hype. I've seen the propaganda all over the stores...but my girls are young enough that they haven't shown interest.

In anticipation of this evenings premiere of High School Musical Two I started asking around to learn more. Baileigh has a few friends here that are 7 and 9 and they are obsessed with the movie...even having viewing parties tonight to watch as a group. We borrowed a copy of the original movie and watched it together yesterday.

I don't really have any objections. It's Saved By The Bell...2007 and more music! It's Grease, modernized. My main thought though...this is perfect, if they were 10! The girls liked the dancing and music, but I could tell they would have been mutually excited to be watching Cinderella III. I kept wondering why I was initiating exposing them to things like this when it is inevitably our future and I should maximize our princess and cartoon years while they last. They'll be gone before I know it! Baileigh was full of questions that I really didn't want to answer, yet. I know a lot of the comments went over her head, but there were a lot of things that she processed enough to wonder about and inquire about. She is already starting to show an innocent interest in boys...I DON'T want to encourage it at all and I think I'm definitly doing that with this movie. She watched Max and Ruby this morning without complaints! No boys. No kissing. Just animated rabbits wearing clothes for some reason and living in a house without any parents! Now that is entertainment!

I don't know what the reviews will be of this follow up...I personally was a little disappointed. The inherent risk of a sequel I suppose.

I recorded tonight's premiere since we had a late night yesterday at the baseball game, but I'm hoping that tomorrow Baileigh forgets about it. The power went out a few times due to storms while I was recording...so maybe I can blame it on the weather! I'm responsible for being in this situation...I told her about it and suggested we watch it. Again, so many of my friends and their kids think it's great and I'm not objecting...I'm just not anxious to have my girls grow up any faster!

4 comments:

Royal Cuties said...

I, too, was a bit disappointed with the sequel. Too much romance/sexual tension, not enough jocks singing and dancing. Emma, however, loved it - and so did all of her 7, 8, and 9 year old friends. Soon enough, Melynie, soon enough.

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to read this - I was beginning to feel a little guilty for wanting to keep my kids young for just a little longer! Plenty of time for that - here's to Cinderella!
Larsey

Anonymous said...

I understand the feeling of wanting to keep them young. Especially when you see that your younger ones seem to grow out of the "princess" world sooner than your eldest. There is plenty of time for the romance even if it is well done for a younger audience.

Kathy said...

Hilarious. I have to confess to renting the original this week in anticipation of the sequel (which I had marked on my calendar!). Sequels... never as good. I did like the original better. Yeah... I'd stick to rabbits in clothes too... it's scary when they start to ask "questions!!!" Loved the Luau pics too...