Monday, July 09, 2007

Mind over Matter

Last time I posted I was too tired to be reflective about some of things I gained from my first triathlon experience. You may find it hard to believe that I left anything out of that post since it was so long...but I had a lot of time to think during that 1:57:23. I've also had time to reflect on how this whole thing began and the journey I've taken in the past 8 months...the result of a friend's example and encouragment (Jaylynn) and from having read someone elses blog that I don't even know. I wonder if I'll inspire anyone to do the same.

I've been offered a lot of "congratulations" since last Saturday, followed by the frequent comment of "I could never do that." I find myself becoming confronting and asking if they truly think they could never do that or if they just don't want to tri...I have more respect for the people that admit that there isn't a part of them that even wants to take the challenge versus those that assume they aren't capable.

I saw so many women on Saturday that had some legitimate reasons to say that they could never do triathlons...like the 71 year old woman with 14 grandchildren! Or the 300+ pound 19 year old that struggled but finished. Or the 39 year old leg amputee that I saw competing despite her older and unimpressive looking prosthesis. If someone has a reason to say they could never do a triathlon I would say they qualify. Yet they were out there, pushing themselves, overcoming their own weaknesses, fighting their own battles, achieving their own goals.

Despite my desire to perform well amongst the other competitors...I experienced the beauty of the triathlon...the ability to compete with others while you win your own race. That Grandma knew she wasn't going to set any records. The overweight nineteen year old knew she would get some looks and wasn't going to qualify for an iron man. The amputee knew she would be challenged. But they all had something within them that was greater then the obstacles they would have to overcome.

Watching other women like this during the race made me feel shallow and weak as my greatest difficulty was finding the time and discipline to train! Aside from that I am blessed to be physically capable of a triathlon. In fact, most people are...it's the mental muscle that is weak and untrained. So I have another triathlon this Saturday. I feel more anxiety over this event since it is only 110 athletes versus 1,100. There is less room to get lost amongst the crowd. Plus I think these smaller triathlons draw some serious athletes that use these smaller venues to practice for the big races. Those thoughts and feelings aside I'm looking forward to the chance to stretch myself and live outside my comfort zone. Trust me...wearing a rubber suit and spandex shorts in public is in and of itself living outside my comfort zone. The athletic stuff is secondary.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Very well written post. After completing a full marathon, I heard the same kind of statements from people. I usually responded with, "you can if you train, you just have to choose to do it," which usually threw folks a bit.

Have fun this weekend, and maybe being around the more serious triathletes will be a learning experience for you to use in future events.

Kudos to you for taking advantage of your physical abilities! Good luck Saturday!

Traci said...

I was going to respond in much the same way that your friend did in the comment before me. After my marathon, I actually found myself getting frustrated when people said they COULDN'T do it. Attend one of those events, look at the people finishing, and then tell me you can't...

But you've inspired me in a different way. I need to think differently and take care of myself the same way I care for my kids. I just don't have anything left for me.

Gee, that sounds so sad, doesn't it? But it's so true!