Friday, July 13, 2007

No Crying = Bribery

I'm not above it. Bribery.

Today I told Mckenna that if she could make it through her entire swimming lesson with no crying we would go out for ice cream tonight. In fact, I told her teacher and we made a big deal of it. I had also talked at length about why Mckenna shouldn't be scared when she is with her teacher. We prayed before her swimming lesson that she would be brave. I kissed her good-bye. I reminded her of the bribe.

I waited.

10 minutes.

20 minutes.

Potty Break. One question asked..."Mommy, can I get sprinkles on my ice cream?" One comment made..."Mommy, I'm being very brave because I went all the way under the water 2 times!"

30 minutes.

Lessons are over.

I bribed. I'll have to pay up. Well worth it! And...she is excited to go back to swimming lessons on Monday because she had so much fun today. It helped that she had her favorite teacher today and they went to the shallow end, a lot!

And if you're wondering...I've already bribed her that if she can make it the final 4 days of lessons we'll celebrate again by going out for ice cream. I pray she makes me be a woman of my word!

3 comments:

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I'd do anything for ice cream too ;)

Jodi said...

Great idea! We had an indepth temperament test done on our middle child, and it said that she thrives on rewards. Maybe yours is the same way! :)

Traci said...

I bribe every day.