Saturday, July 14, 2007

#761

Round 2. I got there early to get checked-in, get marked, and set up my transition area. A lot of $7000 and up bikes. That's not intimidating. Like I mentioned previously...this was a small race of about 200 and it is a practice event for a lot of elite triathletes (like myself, ahem).

The "lake" (I use this term loosely being from Michigan) was covered with a film this morning. NICE. And let's just say that when I showered this afternoon I was covered in a brown film, too. I opted not to wear my wetsuit because the water was in the low 70's and the course was only 1/4 mile...plus next weekend I think Lake Mercer is going to be too warm to be wet suit legal, so I thought I would practice.
Swim summary...okay. Not sure on my time. My goggles fogged up and I couldn't see anything on the swim back. The water was gross and shallow. I saw some women trying to run through the muck, which stirred it up a lot for those of us trying to swim. Hopefully when the results get posted online there will be a breakdown of times for each element and the transitions. I felt faster last weekend but it may have been due to the wet suit and the current.

Getting ready for the bike. My transition was pretty good...again, don't know times but the fact I didn't have to take my wet suit off helped.


My fans cheering me on...they are the best part of the triathlons. "GO, MOMMY! GO MOMMY! GO MOMMY! sticks in my head and keeps me going! They wouldn't be here if my wonderful hubby wasn't willing to wake them all up early, get them dressed and come out to watch me every 30 minutes for 15 second. I'm so thankful and appreciative of his support and encouragement! The big talk of this triathlon was a poorly marked turn on the bike course. I would have made the same mistake as many, but we drove the course last night. I started to doubt my memory though when I realized no one was in front of me because they missed the cut off. I didn't know the level of uproar about this until after the race. Apparently a bunch of the guys on the expensive bikes that used this morning as an easy practice all went the wrong way at 30mph and it added about 4 miles to their route. They were livid! It was a poorly marked turn, and on top of it an ambulance was parked in a bad spot so you were blind to the sharp turn until it was right upon you.

The bike course was fairly flat and I think I maintained a speed close to 18mph. Around mile 12 I was passed on a quiet country road. I've never been so honored to be passed. It was a man pulling his son. I wish I would have had my camera. It was beautiful. It was awe inspiring. It made me cry. This boy had special needs and his Dad pulled him in a raft on the swim, transitioned him to a special carrier and pulled him behind his bike, then pushed him in the run. There is a famous father son duo older then this that have done Ironman's. I've seen footage of them and it was amazing. But to get passed by this father-son team and see the young boy with a huge grin as he felt the wind on his face took my breath away. I cheered them on and then fought my tears as I followed. I seriously felt like I was hyperventilating. It's hard to bike while having a good, emotional cry. I hope I can always remember the look of joy on that boys face as I complain about running, or biking...or any able bodied things that boy would love to be able to do.

My run went much better this week. I wasn't a lot faster then last week but I believe I was somewhere in a ten minute mile pace. Still slow, I know, but not bad for me. I think my run was better because my thoughts were still on the boy. I kept thinking that I can't stop running simply because I can! I didn't struggle as I kept thinking that I'm running for the boy...but emotionally I was still reeling as I thought about my own kids and their health. I thought a lot about their awesome Daddy and how I know he would do the same thing if we had a child with special needs.

I never got a photo of the father son team during the race, but here they are afterwards.
Brooke is always happy to see me...even if I'm stinky...and covered in a brown film. If you look closely at this picture you'll see how filthy my face still is from the lake!
Baileigh talks a lot about wanting to do a triathlon with me when she gets older. I would love that! I'm a little concerned that her primary motivation at this point is to eat orange wedges and hot pretzels at the buffet afterwards.All I know at this point is that I finished the race in a time of 1:38:07. The bike was two miles less then last weekend and the swim today was 1/4 mile versus 3/4 last weekend. I think those two factors and a slightly faster run pace accounts for the time improvement. It was kind of nice to do a smaller venue...closer to home, not such an early wake up call, etc. But I enjoy all the pomp and circumstance with the big races...so next weekend will be fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice brown stuff!!! This should make a honey bucket a breeze. Way to go!!!

Sherry

Kathy said...

Dude... check out those muscles, girl! I'm so proud of you and your accomplishments. You are inspiring me in my quest for athleticism... it's a small quest so far, but it's there. Love the story about the man and his son... miss you!

Kate said...

Wow- check out those calves!

Anonymous said...

Hey buff mama! Way to go...you are truly amazing. My respect continues to grow. :o)

Hausfrau said...

Way to make a pregnant lady feel fat and lazy!!! Just kidding! Great job! We can't wait to catch up with you all soon.

Chelle said...

Congrats on tri number 2, and have fun with the next one! Brown goo or not, you look pretty comfy out there...and dang those are some nice muscular calves!