Friday, July 06, 2007

Pre Race Registration

Last night my in-laws kept the girls while we went to Fleet Feet for my pre- race packet pick-up (say that fast 5 times!). I got my timing chip, swim cap, race number, 2 free t-shirts and a bunch of other goodies! So let's hope number 704 is lucky! I found out I'm in the 8th wave...newbies! There are only 9 waves and each is color coded by swim caps. The waves go according to age starting with pink 15-19 year olds, 20-24 and mothers/daughters and survivors. Then wave 2 is red and included 25-29 year olds, etc. You get the idea. Wave 6, purple, is 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60+, and wave 7 and 8 are first timers. The only people behind me is one group of first timers and those doing relays.

I'm in wave 8. Yellow caps. Back of the pack. I'm actually a little excited about this because every other woman that I'll be starting with will be a newbie, too. That also means that hopefully on my swim I'll be passing women over sixty and women my mom's age. Is that something to even be proud of? The thoughts of it all actually makes me laugh instead of any nerves. I'll focus on that for now.

Today I tested out my new aero bars and bike computer. I shouldn't have waited to make these alterations to my bike so close to race day but I think I'll be fine. Tomorrow I'm going to go to Philadelphia to a pre race meeting that is highly recommended for first timers. Hopefully the meeting won't make me nervous. The thing I'm most anxious about right now is getting up early on Sunday morning and getting us all out of the house at 5:45am. Brad and the girls want to come with me and cheer me on. I feel bad having them all wake up so early...but I'm really glad their coming with me.

Race update on Sunday evening...if I'm not asleep on the couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melynie
I'll be thinking of you/cheering for you from Michigan as I watch Jeff in a tri here in Grand Haven!
(I'll also be thinking of Brad. . .if your kids are anything like ours he might hear, "Where is Mommy? When is Mommy going to be done?" once, twice or fifty times!
I'm proud of you and inspired by you!
Larsey