Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sink or Swim

On Monday we started two weeks of swimming lessons. I debated doing lessons all in one big chunk or spreading them out once a week throughout the summer. Mckenna needs the consistency of every day so I made the decision to do them in this format. It's been a long week. Baileigh...a fish. Loves the water. No fear. Granted, she is almost 2 years older then Mckenna so I'm not doing direct comparisons. Mckenna though, loves the water on her terms. This actually describes her in a lot of areas of life. She will play endlessly in the shallow end. She is fine in three feet or less of water. She'll dive for rings and beg to stay when it is time to go. But float her into the "deep end" and she will scream and cry like she is being tortured. The ones who are tortured are her poor teachers (who have probably had their hearing damaged) and all the other kids and parents...and Mommy. I honestly feel more frustration for her and for her inability to comprehend that she will be safe then I do anger or embarrassment. But it's getting old. The first 15 minutes or so start off okay...because the water is about 3 feet...but as the teachers discretely float into the deeper waters...yep, screaming and a fit. So the rotation begins...

1st Teacher 2nd Teacher
3rd Teacher
2 Teachers
That is a summary of the lesson...which is supposed to be a group lesson. However, as evidenced in the photos...it becomes a private "lesson" of rotating teachers attempting to calm Mckenna and stop the screaming.

Meanwhile...Baileigh was moved up a class. She was the oldest and most skilled (which that isn't saying a lot because she technically doesn't swim) in her original class and moved to a class with 7 and 8 year olds that are more advanced then her but it is pushing her and she is making great leaps and bounds.
Baileigh's gift is not her athleticism at this point in life but her heart and cooperation. She will trust her teacher and try anything. She has a healthy respect for the water but no fear of it...here she jumps off the diving board and then struggles to swim to the wall.
Tomorrow is our last lesson for the first week. I'm so thankful for the weekend! I need a break.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I can relate. Benny had a couple of screaming fits at the Y swim classes. I handled it by not giving in to his screaming, or coddling him in any way. I would pass him to the teacher (still screaming), and walk out. I think he only did it twice, and loved swimming every time after that. I noticed that the kids who threw fits, and their parents let them come out, would pull the same thing every time. I'm no expert parent, but in my experience, it seems like it's good for them to struggle with their fears and feelings and not be rescued by me all the time. Even though it was hard for me to not rescue them, I had to become a good actress, and know that what was uncomfortable for me was sometimes best for their self-confidence.