Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Oprah's Made Me Ramble

Since we have company in town we take it easy during Brooke's afternoon nap time. Today it is quiet and I actually have a little time alone. We're going to a firework show tonight so that has motivated the kids to settle down for awhile so they don't fall asleep before the show! Oprah is on in the background and the show is about people trying to loose weight. There are a lot of sad people showing pictures of themselves years ago when they were several pounds lighter. A lot of different stories filled with similar threads of familiarity about people feeling like they have lost the person they used to be and they want to find them again.

I'm 5 days away from my first true triathlon and am watching this show with a different perspective. I guess I'm fortunate that I've never let myself get as far down the road towards an unhealthy lifestyle as many of these guests on Oprah. I see so many mom's that completely neglect themselves during these tough preschool years. I always swore to myself that I wouldn't let myself go during my childbearing years. To be honest, we're not sure if we're having a fourth child or not...but I've said to myself that I wouldn't be willing to be pregnant again until I got my body back in some type of shape. I don't think my body will ever be like it was ten years ago...but training for these triathlons has helped me enjoy being physically fit instead of just working out to be a certain weight.

When I initially started training I often felt guilty about leaving the kids for an hour in the gym childcare. Then I started analyzing all the times I let them play alone or watch cartoons while I'm unproductive around the house. I decided that an hour for myself as a full time stay at home was allowable...and even necessary and beneficial. It's allowed me to have some great talks with the girls about fitness and keeping our bodies healthy and strong. It's so important to me to give them a strong foundation as young girls for fitness...and not a warped perspective on exercise in order to achieve a certain look! I struggled with my self-image so much in my youth and I still struggle with that myself as I truly desire to loose another ten pounds, but I feel that I have a healthier mentality then I have in a long time.

I think God blessed me with three girls because they are the best motivation to me to be fit and a good example. I'm doing okay in this realm, now I need to rally in other areas of my life where I also want to set a good example for them.

I'm really just rambling. I guess when I get a few minutes of quiet time my mind starts to wander to things other then sippy cups, coloring books, and diaper changing.

2 comments:

Tylertopia said...

I could totally be one of those Oprah guests...I swore I wouldn't let myself get to where I am today...umm. No excuse really, just laziness. I am totally proud of you and your daily successes to be healthy. Amen Sister!

Amy said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I have actually exercised every day for two weeks! Reading your blog has been a big motivation. It is funny though--I was much more the opposite in that I wasn't going to really work to get where I wanted to be until we were done having kids. Can't wait to hear about your big race day! If you have a fourth, you can still do it. ;)