Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Freedom Isn't Free

The fourth of July has been a difficult holiday for our family. A year ago it was the eve of a four month deployment. It's hard to believe that this blog was really born out of that event. The year before it was the night of a big trip for Brad. A few years before that Brad had to leave a family gathering and drive alone from MI to NJ because his deployment had been moved up and he had to go immediately. You get the trend. Over the past ten years I believe we've only been together on about three, possibly four 4th of July celebrations because of military trips or deployments. Ironic, huh. This year we didn't even do anything that special, but being together as a family without a separation looming over heads makes it more special then any big celebration.

It's so easy to remember over the years for a few reasons. Brad has needed to go to bed early on the 4th of July on several occasions due to early report times for trips...not easy to go to sleep on a night filled with fireworks. Especially in WA...where your neighbors can buy $500 worth of fireworks and put on a show in their driveway. Nice to watch, not fun if you're trying to sleep. It's also a time of heightened patriotism. Last year we fought back tears in church as they sang patriotic music, showed a video tribute of troops past and present, prayed for our military, and the icing on the cake was when the pastor mentioned Brad would be deploying for four months in a few days and he received a standing ovation. I get teary eyed and chills just typing about it. And I am fortunate to be reminiscing about that time frame as I still have friends and know of women who have had their husbands deployed since around the 4th of July last year...and they are still gone!!!!

So instead of enjoying my husband and making great memories on the day that commemorates our countries independence and past, our family has had to make sacrifices in the present. Brad serves in order to continue and preserve the very thing that we frequently take for granted until it is time for a cookout and fireworks. While I'll never be appreciative of our family being separated, I am thankful for people like my husband who are willing to make tremendous sacrifices on my behalf for our freedom and our independence. I wasn't raised around the military. I definitely never thought I would marry military. I'm frequently not fond of being in the military. However, I am thankful that it has opened my eyes and helped me not take for granted all the amazing and selfless people that protect our independence every day.

3 comments:

Tylertopia said...

AMEN Melynie...and THANK YOU for your sacrifices. Every day. We have the utmost respect for your family.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Tylertopia! Brad & Melynie & girls your sacrifices don't go without notice or much prayer! You are always in my heart and prayers. It is often to much to put in words - especially knowing the reality of the ultimate sacrifice. It touched my heart to hear of how your WA church handled the 4th. I have been so frustrated over the years when it seems that our church barely mentions/ celebrates the history of the country that allows us to celebrate ULTIMATE freedom so freely. THANK YOU more than words can adquately express. ~F

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I'm so glad your family was together and happy this fourth of July. Even though Adam works more for Alaska and less for the military now, us military wives are forever bonded. :)