Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm Scared To Say It...

I have a goal in mind that I've been afraid to verbalize for fear of accountability...I want to train and compete in a few sprint triathlons next year. There, I've said it...it's out there...what have I done.

Tonight I stumbled across a
blog entry of another girl in a similar dilemma who was finally brave enough to voice her thoughts and I felt motivated to do the same.

I've spent the last four months working out. A lot. I've managed to loose the baby weight (which seems to increase faster with each baby and decrease much slower with each baby!) and although I'm feeling pretty good I'm really just back to where I started before baby number three. Actually probably where I was with baby number two. I definitely have been thinner and weighed less but after 28 sessions with a trainer and several circuit classes I am feeling stronger then I have in a long time. I really don't want all my efforts to be in vain so I've decided having a goal would be helpful motivation to continue my crusade for fitness (and thinness, I confess).

I keep having this thought float thru my head that I'm 32 and surely the best can't be behind me. Can it? I know if I just sit here on my rear then that is definitely the route that gravity and age will not so graciously take me. But I'm not going down without a fight. Truly, more then vanity or my secret dream to have a belly button worthy of a piercing...I keep thinking of my 3 girls and the kind of example I want to be for them. I fear for them all the social pressures they will face and all the struggles ahead of them for a strong self esteem. I pray that their faith will give them roots and a sense of significance that is deeper then their appearance . But I also know our human nature and that they will each have a natural desire to be pretty and popular. I want to be a good example of health and fitness, not diet and laziness.

Those words are so much easier said then done. I confess I even went the Jenny Craig route while Brad was gone...but that was just a little indulgence and luxury for myself in his absence (isn't that ironic for me to say I'm treating myself by limiting my caloric intake to 1200 calories a day of meals I pull out of a box and microwave?!). So now reality is around the corner and I'll need to cook again and my routine will be interrupted with being a normal family unit. Don't get me wrong, that is how I prefer it...but I'm going to have to figure out what it looks like and how I can continue on my quest to become a triathlete.

Just remember July 8, 2007. I actually pulled the trigger and registered so now I'm committed, or out $100 and my pride. If you're questioning the location, that will be an upcoming blog. So check my blog in 8 months and 5 days to see if I'm a woman of my word. I pray that I can say I am!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who was inspired by Zoot's blog there. It wasn't me, though, so you can still make fun of me for going to the Y "just for the child care." She can reveal it at her leisure; I won't take away her thunder here.

All joking aside, I confess that I have felt the pull of getting involved with something more active to improve my health and my lack of coordination. I can tell you it WON'T be running though. I have to do a little research though before I go public with what it might be.

I'm so proud of your goals. I know you won't live here on that day (it'd be hard to run in Philidelphia if you still lived in Washington) but I will be cheering you on anyway.

threeforme said...

I confess I too have a secret desire to do something a bit more challenging than my gym/treadmill routine, but am scared to voice it for fear of the reality it then becomes. But I have been thinking of a sprint triathlon. How are you training for you? Are you doing it with someone else? I want more information before I commit. Well, that and to not be breastfeeding...