Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Snow Day

I still remember the anticipation of watching the morning news or listening to the radio to see if our school was closed on a snowy morning growing up in Michigan. My response was always elation. It meant days outside building snow forts, snowmen, and snowball fights...followed by hot chocolate to warm our numb hands. The past two mornings the announcement of cancelled pre-kindergarten has been a tearful occasion for Baileigh. Oh to be five! She'll learn to be excited about a day of cancelled school soon enough I suppose.

Although not impressed by the minimal accumulation of snow, the weather system that passed through the Puget Sound in the past few days did seem to paralyze these northwesterners to my surprise. I guess my upbringing in the Great Lakes State conditioned me to the point that it has to be a pretty severe snow storm to phase me. I will admit that I find fascinating the variety of conditions that can be experienced out here within just a few blocks of each other...I guess it must have to do with the mountains and the effects of being near the coast...but you can find snow and storms in one area and a block down the street the sky can be blue and clear. This may seem like an exaggeration but it's the truth and something you see frequently during the rainy season.

I was thankful though that there was at least something on the ground for the girls to play in so they can have some of their own childhood memories of playing in the snow. It only took a few minutes for them to discover the fun of a snowball fight...until Mckenna took one in the face as pictured below.


When they aren't throwing snow in each others faces they get along pretty well. Brooke was napping through the entire outing so I don't have any pictures of her first snow day.

Our neighbor Reece was kind enough to share his sled and give the girls a few rides. If you click on this picture and make it larger you can see the great expression on Mckenna's face.
If you want to see more pictures from our fun in the snow you can click on the new Flickr link on the right hand side of my page.

No comments: