Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This Sounds Crazy...But Try It!

Today I was in the locker room after my swim and overheard a conversation that I had to interrupt. Two women were preparing for the arthritis water aerobics class (it's nice to be naked in the locker room with a bunch of seventy year old women, good for the self-esteem) and two women were discussing how effective the bar of soap under their sheets was working. WHAT? I eavesdropped as much as possible but when one woman walked away I was left confused. I just had to ask. I confessed to the lady that I had been listening to their conversation and I just couldn't resist but asking what in the world they were talking about.

She was anxious to tell me about a remedy she had discovered to help with leg cramps while you sleep. She sited Dr. Gott online and a few other articles and said that by placing a bar of soap (apparently not Dove) under your fitted sheet that it mysteriously reduces and sometimes cures night time leg cramps. I told her that it sounded crazy, in a few kinder words, but humored her and said I may give it a try.

Today I googled the subject...I think I literally typed in the phrase "bar of soap under sheets to stop leg cramps" and got 61,812 matches. I read a ton of links regarding the subject, articles, comments etc. and was amazed at all the emails supporting the theory. Is this just the power of suggestion? There were several cases where a wife tried the theory without informing her husband and unknowingly the husband reported no leg cramps in the following nights.

I've really only suffered from from leg cramps during pregnancy and adolescence...but if you're plagued by this then give it a try and let me know. Research it yourself and you'll be amazed at everything you'll find! Let me know if it works.

2 comments:

Tylertopia said...

Dang! Wish I had this knowledge when I was pregnant. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... wish you had shared this when we met the other night -- the leg cramps have been wicked some nights! Will it work with a waterbed? Do you need one bar of soap for each leg -- :)