Saturday, June 02, 2007

My Saturday Ride

Today I met up with the bike group from our church for a ride. A few of them had already met at 6:00am and done a 17 mile loop. I joined the group at 7:00am and we set back out for a 30 mile ride. Prior to this morning I had only done about 24 miles on my bike since I recently started riding.

Things started out okay, but I could tell that I was going to be pushed...which is the reason I make the effort to ride with them on the weekend...I'm not very good at pushing myself in terms of speed. It was a warm morning, even at 7:00 am, and we did a beautiful ride through the Jersey countryside. I realize that for those of you who have never been to south Jersey you may be thinking that "Jersey" and "Countryside" are oxymoron's...but the truth is that horse farms abound in this area and it is truly a pretty area. North Jersey...that is the "armpit" area.

We did 30 miles in just about 2 hours...we made a 5 minute stop so we averaged just over 15mph. They would have averaged around 18.5 if it weren't for me. I was the anchor holding the other 3 back. They were kind about it though and circled back for me a few times.

As much as I'm enjoying the riding I don't have any goals of a century ride or any long distances. I think I'm A.D.D when it comes to athletics and just never noticed it before because I was always playing a game that had a start time and end time. Riding, running, etc...I go for awhile and I'm not necessarily fatigued, just ready to be done and move on to something else. I guess this is why the sprint triathlons are a good match for me. Thank goodness they all have rides under 20 miles!

No comments: