Sunday, June 24, 2007

New York City

Yesterday was a blast! Saturday morning I set out for NYC with my girlfriends, Melissa and Shelly, for a fun day in the city. The weather couldn't have been more beautiful with temperatures in the mid seventies and clear skies.

Shelly had done her research and acted as our tour guide for the day. After arriving on the train at Penn Station we jumped on the subway and took the red line up to Central Park. We started off by a visit to the restrooms at Tavern on the Green. I make it a goal to only use four star bathrooms throughout the city if possible!
Afternoon tea was taking place in the gazebo area and there was a wedding reception out in the garden. A view of Sheep Meadow in Central Park. It's name actually comes from the fact that at one time in the late 1800's it truly was a pasture area where sheep grazed. This area is designated for quiet relaxation...no sports or pets or music is allowed.
There are so many areas in Central Park, and NYC in general, that remind me of Europe. I think a lot of people that have never had the opportunity to spend some time in New York and specifically in Central Park often have a different perception of the area. I know back in the day it was a dangerous area with a poor reputation, but the park of today is beautiful and family friendly.
The view from Bellvedere Castile which was restored in the early 1980's.
The Food Network featured the Peanut Butter and Company on one of it's shows and I determined that I had to go there considering I love peanut butter. We left Central Park and took the subway to the SoHo and Greenwich Village area. We grabbed a bite of lunch at a sidewalk cafe and then stopped by the Peanut Butter Company. I'll have to return since I was too full from lunch to do much taste testing. I did bring home Spicy Peanut Butter (perfect for chili or a Thai chicken dish) and a chocolate peanut butter. Mmmm! I think I'll have to go back with the girls.
This picture is the entrance of the fairly new Apple Store near Time Square. The store is below ground and is quite the tourist attraction. There was a line waiting just to get in the store.
In front of the Garden where the NY Knicks play.
In time square facing the ABC studio front ticker that you see on their morning show.
One of my favorite things about the city is the funny and fascinating people and things you see. This doggie is begging for funds for her cancer treatment.
Melissa's daughter, Emma, does some modeling and has become the current face for a lot of Alex Toy products. She is featured on a ton of their products and signage at FAO Schwartz, like this light box. So of course I had to go look and take pictures so I could show the girls! Very cool.
I hope to get to Radio City this Christmas to the see Rockets Perform. I think Baileigh would get a kick out of it (no pun intended) and we may take her as a Christmas present.
There were a ton of little street markets taking place since it was a Saturday move. That means a lot of good greasy food and a few good buys amongst a lot of strange junk...like these sexy glasses!
This is an example of some of the architecture in NY that reminds me of Europe for obvious reasons.

We picked up some fantastic cheesecake at the famous Junior's for the train ride home. I think it was some of the best cheesecake I have ever tried!Just blogging about yesterday makes me think about how much fun I had. I hope we take advantage of our year on the east coast and make a few more trips into the city. If you want to check out even more photos then head over to my flickr account!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does the bathroom thing not surprise me. :)

Glad you had fun!!

Sherry

Tylertopia said...

What a fun day! I'll probably never end up in NY, so thanks for showing me through this post how cool it is there. That's great you were able to get out with some friends and have an adventure!