Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Was I Loosing Myself, Or Finding Myself?

There is a lot of time to think while swimming. Too much, in fact. I'm within 3 weeks of the Philadelphia Women's Triathlon...ahhh. Actually, feel really ready, antsy as a matter of fact. I'm a little tired of training and just ready to get my competitive juices flowing.

That aside, today during my swim I started to think about how I got here. What led me into this world of triathlons. It all began about a year ago when I was still in my post pregnancy days and my husband had deployed for four months. I felt like I was loosing myself. Loosing my mind. That is when I started using the gym as an escape. It gave me a break. An outlet. One hour a day to myself. An hour well spent. An hour needed.

Initially the daily break was a relief, but eventually it got old. Until I decided that the idea of having a goal greater then weight loss or health alone would help. Competition. A goal. I needed something to achieve to keep me going. A triathlon.

So a year later I'm reflecting about my progress. I've come a long way. A year ago a 5k sounded intimidating...now it's my running minimum. A mile swim sounded impossible...now it's my short day in the pool. A 20 mile bike sounded exhausting...now it's routine. I'm proud of my progress. I would be lying if I didn't admit disappointment that the effort hasn't transformed me into an athletic goddess. I have ten pounds that refuses to leave. However, I feel stronger and in better shape then I have since high school. I feel like I have been a better example to my girls of health and discipline. I feel excited about having something that is completely for me.

So all that made me think about whether or not I fell into this because I was loosing myself at the time or if pursuing this has helped me find myself. If I want to get more analytical one could ask whether I needed to loose myself in order to find myself . Or if I found myself when I lost myself.

Like I said, there is too much time to think when swimming.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Regardless of the reasons why you started what you started, it sure seems like you are enjoying it now, and I think it's cool. I think it's truly admirable. I also think that all of this training and commitment could be a total learning experience for life, don't you think so? I could think of a dozen things one could learn through an experience like this. Not only that, but I know what it's like to be a mom of young children. To have something like this, that is your very own, is quite empowering and validating during a season in life when you're meeting the needs of little ones 24/7. Good job, Melynie!

Tylertopia said...

Girl, you are so inspiring and I admire your perserverence (sp?). Your girls truly have a wonderful example in you.

My analytical 2 cents: You lost yourself to find youself. I say that because I recently experienced this myself. Felt I was losing "me" and then found "ME!" Discovered that not only do I like taking pictures, but I LOVE photography and have a real passion for it.

I am so not a triathlete..BUT I could take some great photos of you while you compete. hehehe. :o)

Triple Trouble said...

I'm kind of tearing up right now. I keep thinking of all the things I used to like to do and maybe will get to again some day when I don't feel guilty about ignoring the housework. Or some day when I have a little more energy. Some days I feel like I must be so lost that I need directions. Bravo to you for making "some day" happen for you. Your whole family will benefit from it.

Amy said...

It is so encouraging to read your blog. Thank you so much for sharing about this experience. It really gives me hope that along with being a busy mommy, I may be able to get back in shape and practice the discipline that I really want to have in my life. What a great thing for your girls. I so love to read your blog!

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt