Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Summary Of My Day

While the older girls were at preschool I headed to the bookstore to buy this book.

    Need I say more? I think that summarizes my day. I debated getting a book on how birth order effects personality, too...since it is my "middle child" that challenges me...but I figured I'll take this approach first. The ironic thing about this daughter is that although she can be the work of the other two girls combined, she is also a riot and so much fun and has an amazing personality that if just cultivated in a healthy way will make her unstoppable. How can you not love a kid who just now ran into the room bursting with excitement to let me know that she went poopy and it looked like a silly caterpillar! I just don't want to crush her spirit while I try to contain her unpleasant behaviors. That is all PC Mom speak for how do I bring out the best in her while stomping out her defiant ways that make me want to scream and pull my hair out some days.


    I actually had to special order the first book...which means I would have left the store empty handed so I decided to pick up this book, too. I'm pretty hesitant to read any type of self-help or child rearing book from an author I'm not familiar with...but I decided to gamble and see if this book has any insight.


    As Baileigh is beginning to mature I realize more each day that although I should have some insight into raising a girl...the fact that we have the same anatomy doesn't really help me know any more about how to react to a 5 year old's emotional struggles or her increasing awareness to social behaviors.

    The subtitle to this book is Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters...those are two characteristics that I think can really be fostered at the preschool age or dispirited. I would like to think that we're encouraging those traits in them and that I even model them in my life...but perhaps I can learn some tangible ways to promote the concepts in their lives. These are all back up plans anyway...I figure I'll just keep praying for them everyday and trust God with their development and do my best to not screw them up.

    5 comments:

    Traci said...

    Amen sister! Let me know if you get any tips from Dobson's book. It didn't help me!

    Anonymous said...

    I'm guessing from this post that your day got increasingly "better" (ha, ha, ha) after we hung up before pre-school!

    Hang in there! I'll wait to hear future posts as to what words of wisdom you have to pass on!

    Double A's Mom said...

    Argh, I need the Dobson book too.

    We have to love them, right?

    The Draper Family said...

    I love it! I have a strong willed one myself... she must get it from her Dad! :)
    Hey... I'm reading a fantastic book right now called "Don't make me count to Three" by Ginger Plowman. The sub-title is "A Mom's look at Heart Oriented discipline". It is SO good... and I'm only on chapter 4!

    Jessica said...

    That girl book sounds interesting. My baby girl is almost four. I read "The Wonder of Boys," which helped me understand my little guy better. I'll see if I can pick up the girl one, too!