Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Race Countdown

You may have noticed over on the side of my blog a new race countdown...I'm trying to make it into a race calendar with the dates of the various triathlons but I'm having some formatting issues. I think psychologically I need to see the approaching dates versus the diminishing days. Anyway...my goal for this summer is to complete these five races. It's my first summer of triathlon competition and I think this is an attainable goal. I feel that if I'm going to train for one triathlon and get the gear, then I may as well try a few and get my monies worth out of my equipment. The only thing I don't like about the schedule is that my first race, The Philadelphia Women's Triathlon, is my longest race and one of the biggest I'll do this summer. I guess that may help boost my confidence if I finish it, or rather, when I finish it, without any problems. My other two "big ones" (not so much farther, just the size of the competitors and the hype) will be the NJ State Tri and the The Danskin outside of NY. I found a few smaller and local sprint triathlons near where we will be living that would be great to start with...but they are in the middle in between the big guys! I'm also doing 3 in July, which probably isn't recommended...but admittedly it's not like they are Ironmans! Blogging about my goals helps hold me accountable, even if no one is reading...at least I feel like it's out there and I've said it and so now it's a matter of my word!

We're going to be moving just as I would start my official 12 weeks of pre-race training so I'll have to get serious when we get to NJ. I've been looking online for clubs with pools. I think our local YMCA (which is ranked as the best and biggest in WA) has spoiled me! But as long as I can find somewhere with a lap pool I'll be fine. Our Y also has an indoor track too which has enabled me to be able to "really run"...not just on a treadmill during the winter season...who am I kidding, the only thing that matters is that I find a gym with childcare!

At least these 5 races will give me 5 good posts of blog fodder!

3 comments:

ashley said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by our blog (Onward & Upward). That's awesome that you are a TU grad too! I graduated in 04 and was a complete Gerig girl while there, with my last semester in Fairlane. :-) I think I was afraid of Olson! But my Fairlane roomies were all from 2WO so they helped me get over my fear. ;-) Beth (my blogging partner) didn't go to Taylor, but I've forgiven her for that. ;-)

Enjoy the rest of the party week! :-)

Deedra said...

I found you on 5minutesformom, and i leave totally motivated! Wow! You go girl!! Good luck with your triathalons! Also, my first(and only so far) baby will be 1 on June 1, and I can't even believe it's so close! It seems like just yesterday I couldn't wait for him to get here! Sigh...time flies!

Nadine said...

Hi. I found you on 5minsformoms. Congratulations on your 1 yr old - she's really cute. Good luck on all the triathalons! Wow - I don't even jog...very impressive.