Thursday, November 01, 2007

One Of Those Days!

I'm going to vent. Stand Back. I'm not asking for your blessing or your permission. Just warning.
I've had one of those days. Nothing major, just ever minor thing possible. It's not even over. The kids aren't in bed. There are still battles waging...yet I've already lost my sanity.

I woke up about an hour early and couldn't fall back to sleep. Frustrating. Perhaps this was the begin of the downward spiral. I decided to shower. While reaching for my razor which I keep up in one of those shower caddy thingies that hangs from your shower head I knocked my razor off and on the fall down it hit my nose and cut it. Yes. I cut myself shaving. My legs. On my nose. 1 in 3,000,294, 429 would guess that the red scab on the tip of my nose is due to cutting myself shaving. Shaving my legs. In the shower. Cut my nose. The other 3,000,294, 428 out of 3, 000, 294, 429 would assume I have a giant zit that I unsuccessfully tried to pop.

Then Brooke woke up. About an hour early. With a runny, runny nose. The kind that when she sneezes creates big booger bubbles in her nose...then she wipes it with the back of her hand onto her cheek and into her hair. Nice. Perhaps this was the beginning of the downward spiral. I got the other girls up and we struggled to get out the door for Mom's Time Out. Exactly where you should take a kid with booger bubbles in her nose

My front right tire has a slow leak so the Check Engine Light didn't surprise me...but the fact that my vehicle seemed to be tilting to the right was a little extreme. I jumped out of the car to find an almost flat tire. Perhaps this was the beginning of the downward spiral. I stopped at a gas station to fill the tire with air.

My day progressed...it seemed everything that could scratch my children did. Every curb that could trip my children did. Every seat belt that could pinch their skin, did. Every thing my kids could argue about, they did. Anything my kids could run into, they did. Any toy they could make a mess with, they did. Perhaps these things were the beginning of the downward spiral.

It was finally Brooke's nap time. 99.9% of the time I lay her down, we blow kisses and she sleeps for the next three hours. Surely this would be true today since she woke up an hour early and looks exhausted. I'll finally have a chance to start picking up the mess from the costume/chocolate factory explosion in my living room. Blow kisses. Night-Night. Screaming. Crying. Banging. Yelling. Then Brooke started!

The next two hours I played the "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...SLEEP CHILD!" game...I didn't feel I could let her cry it out because, considering this was so out of character for her...I thought she may have a poopy diaper (which she hadn't yet at this point in the day which is also unusual for her) or she was drowning in her own booger bubbles and I needed to save her. Perhaps this was the beginning of the downward spiral. When she was within 15 minutes of needing to get up anyway to take Baileigh to ballet I got her up. She won. I'll probably learn tomorrow that she has a double ear infection and then I'll be eligible for Mother of The Year nominations! Sweet!

Baileigh got of the bus and we started getting ready to go to ballet. As she was dressing, which of course includes some practice ballet, she and Mckenna collided and Mckenna's head hit Baileigh's nose. I can't believe it didn't bleed considering how quickly I could see swelling. My little ballerina iced the swelling on the way to her class. Perhaps this was the beginning of the downward spiral.

The next hour went okay. I turned on the DVD player in the car and decided just to drive around during the hour long ballet lesson. I needed it and so did Brooke. Although she never slept, they were relatively quiet and my brain had a little time to recoup.

We returned home from ballet for dinner. While I made dinner Mckenna hit her head against the base of our couch. Based on her screaming I thought there had to be blood involved. Just a big goose egg. More ice packs. Meanwhile...Brooke wandered into the kitchen, relatively happy. "Whatcha got, sweetie" as she was looking at her hand. Apparently her long awaited dirty diaper had arrived, in a runnier form then usual thanks to the Tylenol I was giving her for her new cold...and the curious texture was more then she could resist exploring. I grabbed her and rushed her to the bathroom to wash her hands when I realized what exactly the mystery substance was! Then, I spent the next 5 minutes looking around the house to be sure that she hadn't done any diaper exploring else where in the house. Perhaps this was the beginning of the downward spiral.


The girls are all now quietly eating candy. So is Mommy. A bucket full of leftover candy isn't good for me to have around when I'm having one of those days. Based upon their current angelic behavior I'm contemplating letting the girls take candy in the bath with them and to bed with them. Maybe I should have allowed this 9 hours ago. Perhaps it would have prevented my downward spiral.




7 comments:

Jenn said...

Great post. Unfortunately, I relate! Hang in there....there is always tomorrow.

Kathy said...

Tomorrow is another day!!! Oh my gosh, I was laughing out loud (sadly relating to a lot of it) and feeling for you too... What a day, right? Just look at your Halloween post and how adorable they all are! : ) Loved the costumes... OH... got the hat at the Disney store.

Anonymous said...

What a day. I know almost all moms can relate. But I look back at some of your previous posts, like girls night out and know that all the good times out weigh the bad. If we didn't have those "bad" days, then how would we know when we are having a good one.

Stephanie

Triple Trouble said...

Thanks, I needed that. I had to stop reading half-way through to go get a tissue to wipe away the tears from laughing so hard. Now I'm definitely not shaving my legs anymore. Haven't posted about it yet, but we're dealing with hand-foot-mouth virus right now. We're all right there with ya!!

Lisa

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

My goodness, I have days like that occasionally, minus the legs-shaving nose accident. That is too funny, Mel! I wish you were here so I can take you out for a drink -- you deserve one!

Jodi said...

Calgon, take me AWAY!!!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

You are so funny! I'm sorry you had a rough day. Really, there aren't many people with as great of a sense of humor than you though. I miss you here to make me laugh.