Thursday, November 08, 2007

Today I took Baileigh to a roller skating party. It was just the two of us, which doesn't happen often, and we had so much fun! This was only Baileigh's second time on skates so she required some assistance.

It's impossible for me to not go into a skating rink without feeling time warped into the mid-eighties...back to my church youth group days at Boneventure Skating Rink. Every rink has the same smelly tan skates with orange wheels, disco ball, black lights, ugly carpet, old school arcade games and loud music. Ahh, the memories! The pressures of "Shoot The Duck" and the nerves surrounding "Couples Skate!"

The boy behind Baileigh is Jack. Jack is in her Kindergarten class and they also spend a lot of time together at the gym since his mom works out at the same time as me. Jack's parents have told me that he is pretty smitten with Baileigh and that he acts sweet and passive around her instead of his normal loud and rambunctious demeanor. Baileigh says he is nice and one of her best boy friends, but seems fairly unaware of his fondness for her.
I couldn't help but feel like the entire experience was an allegory for life. Baileigh initially wanting me with her, to help her and teach her. Then Baileigh telling me it's time to leave her, that she would be fine without me. I stood back and watched her fall. I wanted to run to her (well, skate to her) but I knew I needed to let her fall down. She struggled at times, but persisted and eventually her confidence grew. I was nervous on her behalf but proud of her at the same time. So many parallels I could make to her impending adolescents!

2 comments:

Lovin' on my Boys said...

She looks SO grown up in that first picture... what a beautiful girl! (Must be why boys have crushes already ;)

Kathy said...

She does look grown up. This brings back memories of my "rainbows and rollerskates" b-day party! Oh my goodness...