Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Year Ago...

A week ago today marked the one year anniversary of Mckenna's first (and hopefully last) trip to the ER when she split open her cheek by running full speed into the corner of our kitchen table. For some reason I was thinking it was July 19 and was surprised to see that I missed it by a week! In many ways it seems like yesterday, in other ways it seems years ago! She has come a long way though from this picture taken a year ago!

If you enlarge this photo, taken last week, you can see her scar on her right cheek just above her hand. We've debated returning to the plastic surgeon for another consultation before we move, but we don't really think there is anything more they could do to it without having to sedate her for the procedure and its not worth the risks involved. The main issue is that the stitches split and the scar is wider then the surgeon had envisioned...he suggested we come back in a year for him to look, but like I said, any type of procedure would require sedation because I know she wouldn't just lay there with a local anesthetic in her cheek without freaking out!

Plus we don't want to draw more attention to it in her mind. I almost think going back and working on it may make her more self conscious of it right now. For the most part she doesn't even seem to care. I know there will come a day when she may be bothered by it but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Frankly, with her spunky personality and enthusiasm I'm really amazed that we haven't had more stitches!

4 comments:

nilvento said...

Yeah...it's barely noticeable. I wouldn't worry. She's adorable at any rate.

Jodi said...

It's looking really good now. With her beautiful skin, I bet it will totally fade away in time.

Kathy said...

You know, I have a big scar on my forehead (from when I was 3)... We had a family portrait done last year, and the lady zoomed in and said, "We'll touch things up, like this scar here..." I stopped her and told her to leave it... it's part of me! She may come to see it as a fun reminder of wrestling with her daddy, or... to purchase blunt-edged tables when she gets married someday. : ) It'll look even better over time too - I probably wouldn't worry about it (even though we moms do anyway). Boy has she grown up in a year!!!

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are adorable! Yea, Isabelles the last of the three to get stictches :o! Hopefully that wont happen! You guys are so great! i dont want you to move :(!!!