Monday, February 04, 2008

Weekend Recap

I'm back from what turned out to be an incredible weekend! I was fortunate enough to spend the weekend with 7 amazing women...and then as a community and in our personal relationships with God.

Here is our motley crue packed in the Suburban...I thought that it was pretty ingenuise to look at the screen of my digital camera in the rear view mirror so I could take a fairly centered photo! There was some concern as to whether or not we would be able to fit not only the eight of us in the car...but more specifically our luggage and the months worth of snacks, water, movies and games that we felt necessary to bring. We managed though and if we would have gone off in a ravine we could have survived for at least a week watching movies, snacking, playing cards...and probably gaining weight!
The retreat was at a Christian camp/resort called Sandy Cove in North East, Maryland. This is a view of the facility from the dock...it's a pretty setting on the Chesapeake Bay. This is almost exactly where I did one of my triathlons this past summer...I found it hard to believe that I had swam in that water just months prior! This is the entire gang...8 out of the 10 women from our mini-church attended the retreat. I was friends with the majority of this group the last time we lived in NJ and was just getting to know a few of the other gals as we moved away to WA. It's been a treat to be able to return and jump back in their lives and truly pick up where we left off. When I first began this post...about 10 hours ago...I had intended on transitioning at this point to talk about some of the things I learned over the weekend. But today has been exhausting. It's hard to explain how difficult it is to come back from a retreat. It's not necessarily the transition to the reality of parenting, the house, the schedule, etc...rather it's the transition from an environment focused on getting to know God better to the reality of a society that constantly tells me to focus on myself. It was nice to live in a bubble for a few days...now it's popped and I'm adjusting to having my feet on the ground again.


1 comment:

Jodi said...

That sounded like a wonderful weekend. Maybe you can pray for me. I'm launching out. I'm going to a womens' Bible study tomorrow night. I have already hooked up with my small group leader over the phone, and we had an awesome talk. Please pray that I will develop the depth of friendship that I have been longing for for many years.....