Sunday, February 17, 2008

Feeling Patriotic

It's been a long time since I've been to a concert like the Toby Keith concert on Friday. Where do all these rednecks hide in NJ? Actually we were minutes from NYC, even stranger. Toby Keith even joked about what a bad rep this part of the US has when it comes to country music and the fact that there isn't even a country music station out of NYC. Despite that fact there were plenty of cowboy hats, big belt buckles and flannel shirts in that arena!

Being military, it's hard not to appreciate Toby Keith since he is so patriotic and a huge supporter of the USO. It's impossible for me to listen to American Soldier without getting emotional. As a matter of fact, I'm watching TV while I blog and just saw a commercial for next week's episode of Extremem Home Makeover...they do the house of a National Guard member and Toby Keith makes a guest appearance to sing American Soldier and help raise money!

I really appreciate that Toby can say he doesn't necessarily support the war, but he supports our troops. I'm not sure why a lot of people aren't able to make that differentiation. I put a few of my favorites on my playlist. It's not my normal music line up but I've found myself singing them over and over in my head ever since the concert, so enjoy.

4 comments:

nilvento said...

As the daughter of an US Army Major (ret.)....I totally understand.

Daisy said...

I actually think MOST people are able to make that distinction. I absolutely support our troops and their families who sacrifice so much to carry out what the collective "we" ask them to do - but I LOATHE and despise this war and want it stopped - like - yesterday. I know a ton of people who feel exactly the way I do. We're out there... we know the difference!

Thanks for the Toby Keith update! He has such an incredible voice. Even if one is not a country fan, one can surely appreciate that!

Organized Chaos said...

I know there are some, but I personally talk with and interact who many who feel otherwise and are more then willing to share that with me despite my husbands active duty status in the military.

And if you watch any protests in the media you'll see how quickly people personalize the war and are negative to those involved because they are serving, ironically, on behalf of the same people protesting them!

Daisy said...

I think people want to hold the current administration accountable for sending our men and women into a situation based on lies. I don't actually know anyone who holds individual soldiers accountable for doing what is asked of them. I know I don't - and I apologize to you for anyone who has said anything like that to you. I think that soldiers join the military because they love this country and want to defend it. I am grateful for their willingness to do so. But I am beyond upset that we are still in Iraq and I just want them home safely at this point.

Anyway - apologies to you - I didn't intend to turn your blog into a political discussion.