Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Week From Today...

The reality of the fact that a week from now I will be on my way to the airport to catch my flight to LAX then on to Christchurch, New Zealand via Sydney continues to escape me. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the opportunity. The daily distractions of three kids (one who is sick) a house to sell, a new house to find, two dogs to keep clean in the rainy weather, a husband who is gone, a business to help with, commitments to keep etc. don't allow me to comprehend my upcoming escape.

Watching Brad pack made me start thinking about the upcoming adventure. I commented to him that I was excited but a little anxious about making the trip to New Zealand alone. I think I said something along the lines about how it has been a really long time since I've traveled alone, and never that far. He laughed and reminded me that I traveled alone with the three girls to MI while missing a connecting flight and getting stuck in the airport for 8 hours with 1 diaper and no cell phone...which probably felt as long as a trip to New Zealand. I think back to that experience and feel less vulnerable then being alone. I guess I'm too busy thinking about the kids and their well being to stop and ponder my own. Besides, who would want to mess with a woman traveling alone with three young kids, isn't she being abused enough?!

As I type Brad is in the air after a rough 24 hours in Hawaii (ahem) and now on his way to Christchurch. He'll have a week to fly/work and get oriented and then I'll arrive for our "vacation". It is the end of summer in New Zealand, which means tempertures around 70...it is a very moderate climate. I'm pretty sure I'll have the ability to blog on occassion from the hotel, pictures may have to wait. The first highlight of this trip will be the ability to read when and what I want on the plane, pee if I need to, say yes to the beverage cart (frequently I have to pass w/ a kid on my lap), watch a non animated DVD, and well...just take care of me!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! Have an awesome trip. On my last flight by myself, I read a whole magazine from cover to cover, and read some books I had started, but never finished. It felt like such a luxury! Anyway, good for you for taking care of "mom" for a change! Have fun.

Tylertopia said...

I cannot express how excited I am to be able to live vicariously through you a week from now. :o) I can't wait to hear all about New Zealand and the trip it takes to get there. I've wanted to travel to NZ as well as Australia for sometime now. LUCKEEE! I hope you enjoy every step of the way. I know it'll be wierd to go it alone, but how empowering too! You go girl! Looking forward to hearing of your adventure.

Traci said...

Have a great trip!