Monday, February 05, 2007

Sick Baby

If you recall my previous post, I took the girls swimming on Friday. Well Saturday night Brooke woke up with a fever and I suspected an ear infection. She would become hysterical when I tried to lay her horizontal...so I spent four hours holding her while she slept and whimpered in her sleep. She was so pathetic I could hardly resent the fact that I was exhausted.

Sunday morning she perked back up a little and ate some breakfast but when I tried to lay her down for a morning nap it started again. That confirmed my suspicion of an ear infection and I decided to take her to a convenience care center. I spent two hours waiting with a large group of ill people hoping to watch the Super Bowl slightly medicated. I determined that if we weren't sick when we arrived, we surely would be by the time we left! I felt like I needed to go home and take another shower...I think I literally saw a germ in the air! Brad went to church with the girls and their day turned into a lunch date and shopping trip. It was nice to just have Brooke to focus on since she was being so needy and I was too tired to be patient with two more kids.

I was told by the Dr. that of the 4 ear infections she had seen that morning, Brooke's was the worse! We're winners! Do we get a break on our insurance claim because of that news? In all seriousness though...I was thrilled when she confirmed an ear infection. If only I could write prescriptions, I could have eliminated this wait and had some Amoxicillin last night! My Mommy guilt skyrocketed though when I asked about our swimming excursion on Friday and the Dr. said that although it wasn't the sole cause of the infection it probably irritated her and encouraged the virus to escalate. Nice going, Mom!

Brooke spent most of the day snuggling and snoozing on my lap and watching the Colts defeat the Bears. We watched Daddy pack for his month trip to New Zealand. Baileigh and Mckenna were busy in their bedroom playing Cinderella with their Polly Pocket dolls. I was assuming no one would come to look at the house today since it was Super Bowl Sunday so the girls enjoyed trashing their room. It actually turned into a relaxing day despite the previous sleep deprived night full of screaming.

Brooke slept okay last night. The ear drops seem to help calm her down before she sleeps. Unfortunately her fever is back up to 102 this morning and she threw up after I gave her medication. Of course...Daddy just left for a month. Actually I'm lucky, these things usually begin the day he leaves...I've already been to the Dr. and have 24 hours under my belt. Hopefully this means she'll be extremely healthy next week when I'm out of town and Nana keeps the girls...hopefully!

2 comments:

Tylertopia said...

That's rough. I hope Brooke feels better and her temp comes down soon. Not fun! We'll be praying for you guys.

Jodi said...

Poor little sweetie...Listening to your story makes me remember those ear infection days. My Melanie used to get one right after the other. I think she became resistant to some antibiotics...Take it easy!