Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm In Sydney!

 I'm blogging in the Sydney Airport...yes, in Australia!   14 Hours on a plane got old...even w/out kids.  The dread locks of the guy from London next to me began to have an unusual odor about 8 hours into the flight.  I pittied the parents a few rows ahead of me with a baby that looked about 8 months old.  Whenever I was frustrated at my inability to sleep or my numb butt...I was just thankful I wasn't trying to keep a baby asleep.

I'm waiting for my flight to Christchurch.  I've been browsing the duty free shops and people watching.  It is really unusual to be in a foreign country alone.  I've had a lot of time alone with my thougths...I think my brain hurts.

It is Feb. 15, around 9:15am here...a day ahead of most of the people reading this.  The weather is 70 degrees and sunny and I enjoyed watching a beautiful sunrise out the window of the 747 around 5:30 over the Tasmin Sea.  

I'm excited to see Brad...if he is at the airport.  Last we talked his mission to Antartica was delayed 4 hours and if it slipped again he wouldn't be able to make it to the airport in time to pick me up...so I may be looking someone with a sign...whoever he bribed into picking me up.

I feel like I'm in the US in many ways...but then I hear all the different languages and the beautiful accents, English sounds so ugly in comparison.  And then there are the media differences.  I thought some of the SuperBowl comercials were a little riske...there is complete nudity on some of the commercials here in the airport.  And they were handing out "samples" in teh duty free shop of liquor and wine.

I don't know when I'll blog again.  They are boarding my flight.   3 more hours and I'm 7,000 miles from home.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ug, I am so jealouse...I know exactly where you are!! hope your hope over the ditch goes well. Have fun!

Becky said...

i am so excited for you....may all of your senses come alive as you travel and experience another culture...can't wait to hear about your adventures!