Friday, August 29, 2008

New Student Orientation



Yesterday I took Baileigh to her new school for new student orientation. She was nervous and acting a little shy. Her new teacher seems very nice (but I was told that she still likes Ms. Ginsburg better)...that was her K teacher. We sat through an assembly and then got to go to her room to meet her teacher and look around. We met 5 other students who are also new to her school and in her class. She is especially excited about having a desk to call her own since they sat at tables in kindergarten.

Walking into the assembly I immediately noticed the dozen or so people in various military uniforms amongst the crowd of about 100 families. The Vice Principal asked how many new students came from military families and I would say that nearly 75% of the crowd raised their hands. I think it was good for Baileigh to look around and know she isn't the only kid who has to move because their parent serves in the military.


I was completely unprepared to be fighting back tears in the midst of listening to rules about snow-days and dress codes. I didn't really feel it had anything to do with the idea of my first born heading off to her first year of full day school. Maybe I can blame it on the pregnancy hormones but in reality at the core I was flooded with emotions about all these military families and the sacrifices that they make. I usually don't see myself as one of them for some odd reason, but sitting in a room full of transplants and thinking about the transitions and adjustments put upon the families and the kids suddenly hit me hard. I don't know if that makes any sense. Maybe I'll just go back to blaming it on the pregnancy hormones.

Another small part is the fact that I can tell Baileigh still thinks her old school is better. It was a newer school so it had a different feeling about it physically and more modern amenities..I can see how in her 6 year old mind she equates it with being "better". This new school is one of the best in the area and receives a rating of a "9". It's one of the reasons we tried so hard to find a house in this neighborhood, even if it had to be a fixer upper.

I think in about two weeks she'll love her school. Actually I think after we get to walk to the ice cream social (the school is in our neighborhood down the street) on Friday night that she'll love her school. But if that doesn't convince her then I'll give her two more weeks and I think she'll be sold.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I am sure she will love her new school. There is something magical about being a first grader in school all day. Just to let you know that Ashley Pedersen started a new school in Colorado Springs and she loves it. She especially likes the fact that she has choices for hot lunch. Much better than her old school she says. Her teacher is wonderful, full of love and patience. Keep her and Jim in your thoughts and prayers as they continue to learn to live together and without Carrie and Lucas.

Thanks,
Shelly (Carrie Pedersen's sister)

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this! What a blessing to be surrounded with so many other kids going through the same thing and a school that knows how to really reach out to military families! Do you have mom's in touch at your school or in your area?

Jodi said...

Ben's gonna be in Room 10 at his school too (only 2nd grade for him)! :)