Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Two Year Old Pictures

Yesterday we took Brooke in for her 2 year old pictures. I usually go to Picture People but my past few experiences there haven't gone well so I decided to try some place new. I went to a place called Portrait Innovations. They were great. It took Brooke over twenty minutes to let go of me. She was clingy and acting shy. The photographer just sat on the ground with us and talked and waited patiently. She got a ball out and rolled it up the back drop. Eventually Brooke decided she wanted to try it and within seconds she was laughing and running around.

The photographers use high end digital cameras with a fancy flash and they are much more flexible to move around and take a picture when the opportunity presents itself (they aren't cameras mounted to a giant wheeled contraption that they move around). Our photographer was down on her knees, on her stomach, etc. She suggested some ideas but if Brooke objected (which she did) she didn't persist. It was the perfect environment for Brooke because she felt more in control then in a more traditional portrait studio where you have to sit in a certain spot, tilt your head a certain way, etc. so she relaxed and took some decent pictures.

The other thing I liked about Portrait Innovations (you think they'll give me a discount for this plug?) is that you immediately get to see all your pictures (she took 33!) and then narrow down your favorites and then see them cropped, b&w or whatever you want. Twenty minutes later they are ready and I think that the picture quality is better then Picture People...clearer and better lighting!

Ideally I would love to always be in a park or the woods with a photographer getting beautiful pictures taken in a natural setting...but the reality is that I can't afford to always do that type of photography so if I have to settle for going to a studio then I'm pretty pleased with this place.

My Mom has been in town and had these pictures with her of me at three years old. Do you see any resemblance? She definitly looks more like my side of the family then the other girls. It's funny how much that seems to matter to extended family. I don't really understand why...but regardless it's funny to hear Grandparents and relatives comment on how much one of the girls may look like my husbands side, or my side, or like a certain relative etc.





10 comments:

Jodi said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I always did think she looked like you, but MAN! Now I know FOR SURE!

Rope Holders said...

Scary...........but I actually remember when you looked like that. She definitely looks like a Cote and so much like you. Aren't genes fun?

molly said...

We've used Portrait Inovations for a little over 3 years now and love them!!

And, wow, she really is your little look alike!!!!!!! :)

Double A's Mom said...

Wow! The resemblance is unreal!

I'm glad to hear that I don't have the only toddler in the world who won't sit perfectly and tilt their head that way and such. I had Aaron's done last at JCPenney and, yeah, the guy was literally chasing him all over the studio trying to get anything that would work. I feel your pain! But it looks like you got some good ones!

Tylertopia said...

Sounds like a great Photographer and these photos are really cute. I know what you mean about natural setting photos being a usual preference. That's usually my preference as well, but it sounds like Portrait Innovations is perfect for studio photos. Nice find! Next time you are in Washington I know of a fabulous Photographer I can hook you up with for natural setting photos! hehe. :o)

beukelman blog said...

we use portrait inovations out here, too! LOVE the cow cake in a previous post - snaps to you! =)

Unknown said...

I could hardly tell them apart. Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Rachel and found you through praying for Leslie's journey! I just saw that we were in the same boat in life. I'm a SAHM to 3 girls. Mine are 7,5 and 3. I had a picture of me when I was 3 months old that's almost identical to my 3rd daughter. I should try posting it like you did.
Anyway, I may stop by again. Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

Melynie, I have always seen you in her. I think that Baileigh is Brad, Mckenna is you with Brad's coloring, and Brooke is YOU to a T! That first photo really looks like you as a child. So cute. TWO - can you believe it? I also, for the first time, see a little Baileigh in your 3 yr old pics - she holds herself like her mommy. : ) And your hair is long too... Anyway, great post. Family resemblances are so much fun to see.

LDraper said...

CRAZY! That first one is amazingly similar.

You both are too cute! :)

Triple Trouble said...

I was just scrolling down trying to figure out the last post I had read...I screeched to a halt!! When I first realized how much Brooke was starting to look like you, that's the face I was picturing in my mind. So cool!!