Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Big Girl Bed Update

A few days ago I mentioned how we converted Brooke's crib to a toddler bed, against our own will but because she had learned how to escape and made it into a big game.

I am pleased to say that in general it is going really well! Only on one occasion has she opened the door to leave her room. I've caught her a few times out of bed getting a book. But after those few episodes she seems to have caught on and it now obeying pretty well. With all the girls it seems like they hit this point where they act like caged animals in their cribs and when we switch them to a big girl bed they seem to calm down with their new found freedom.

The only negative has been that Brooke has started throwing major tantrums on her way to her nap. She goes screaming and kicking and flailing and tries to run away...but once we sit and look at a book and I put her in bed she settles down. I could do without the fights but at least she gives up once I put her in bed.

We're heading out of town on Thursday for 10 days and in some ways it will be nice to not worry about cribs and pack-n-plays, but I'm really not sure what her sleeping accommodations will look like. I'm not too worried about bed time, but I'm not sure how a nap is going to work in a strange place when I can't confine her. Maybe "vacation" is the wrong word for this trip!

No comments: