Thursday, March 20, 2008

Brooke has been fighting her nap the past few weeks. But I refuse to let her give them up. Today she had been in her crib about an hour talking to herself. She started to fuss and call for me. The bus dropped Baileigh off in front of our house so I went outside for a few minutes to greet her. When I came inside Brooke was still fussing (aka yelling and crying and protesting) so I decided to go upstairs and let her get up.

I opened her door quickly...usually when I do this she instantly drops from her feet and lays down and pretends she was being quiet. Today as I thrust the door open I didn't see her in her crib, at the very same moment I heard a big thud and then screaming. Apparently she had climbed out of her crib for the first time and was standing right behind her door. I hit her in the head with the door handle and it knocked her into the wall. Oops...nice going, Mom! She has a nice knot on her forehead tonight.

This is the third time we've used this crib with our kids but the first time any of the girls has escaped. Granted, Brooke is older then either of the other girls now and still in the crib. Baileigh was out at 21 months because we needed the crib for Mckenna and with Mckenna we converted it to a toddler bed just before her second birthday because she was starting to potty train.

All that is to say that tonight we converted the crib to a toddler bed. This was the last thing I planned on doing tonight, this week, or this month. We were hoping to wait until June when we move and do the big girl bed and potty training all at one time. Nope. So tonight was the first night in her big girl bed...sorta big girl. She was tired from not having taken a nap so it went rather smoothly. We did her normal bedtime routine and I sat behind her bed in the dark for a few minutes. She fussed for about 30 seconds and that was it!
She looks so big! Sometimes I just don't feel ready for her to be at this point and moving towards potty training, too. I don't know why but she still seems so much like my little baby.
That was easy! Easier then a lot of nights in her crib! I'm just dreading the morning...and even worse, nap time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She seems so happy to have a "big girl bed." It seems young to move, but really it isn't (we also moved Ali at 20 mo.), but I can't imagine Nick in a big bed. You let me know how the morning goes and nap and then we'll consider it! Kate

Amy said...

Any chance she wants to tell Henry about how great it is to stay in bed? :) What a huge blessing to just stay in bed! Have a great Easter!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

We haven't taken this big step yet... I'm hoping to wait until summer too! Hopefully, it continues to go well. Jacob was easy, but somehow, I don't think Gavin will be!