Monday, December 31, 2007

Party Time

I'm taking a poll.

How many of you used to bang pots and pans on the front porch as kids to ring in the New Year? My husband and my in-laws had never heard of such a thing. However, my neighbor here in NJ grew up doing the same thing as we did in Michigan...and I've done some googling to discover the tradition is well known. However, I haven't heard too many accounts of this activity anywhere in the south, so maybe it's something known just "north of the Mason Dixon Line" as my husband thinks.

Regardless...it's a fun (and cheap) tradition that the girls loved!
"2008" glasses imported straight from Time Square!
Baileigh banged her pot so hard she broke the wooden spoon!
We finished off the night (at 8:30) with a quick video and some peanut butter popcorn!
New Year's Eve kisses. Happy New Year to all!

8 comments:

lovin' life said...

Yep, here in the Northwest I grew up doing it, too. I have many wonderful memories banging pots and pans out in the front yard with vairous kitchen untesils.

JayLynn

etoc said...

I bet we have one crossover tradition--firing guns into the air at midnight. Bubba had to get that idea just like Detroiters do. Happy New Year as we get ready to dig out of 12 wet inches of snow.

Anonymous said...

Apparently that was a little too "wild" for the Dutch people here in West Michigan because I had never heard of that. Maybe next year I'll have to start something. Could cause quite an uproar in little old Zeeland. . .

Happy New Year!
Larsey

Tylertopia said...

Fun! :o)Happy New Year to you guys!

Jodi said...

I didn't grow up banging pots and pans in the Northwest, but I think I actually may have picked up this tradition from our time living in Michigan on an Air National Guard base in Mt. Clemens (it had a small Navy section). Now, we do it every year! It's so fun!! :)

nilvento said...

OMG....I always used to do that as a kid...Joe looks at me like I'm crazy every year when I suggest it.

My dad grew up in the West....so who knows where that came from.

Anonymous said...

Have lived in NJ my whole life and have banged pots and pans every new years eve...my kids did this year, just as they have done in the past.

Stephanie

Triple Trouble said...

Never heard of that. I'm surprised considering mom and dad being raised in MI, hmm? They like to set off firecrackers around here. Any excuse to day "Watch this!" and set something on fire.