Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Nemesis!

Yesterday I did 8 loads of laundry.

I. HATE. LAUNDRY!

It's not so much the laundry. In fact, I frequently enjoy my routine of saving my laundry for the evening so I can park my rear on the couch and fold for hours while I watch TV. It's a good excuse to sit at the end of my day and relax, sorta...while being productive at the same time.

What I HATE is putting the laundry away. Usually by the time I have the laundry washed and folded I'm out of time to put it away, or out of energy. So it sits. And sits. And sits. I start pulling clean clothes out of the basket because there aren't any clean socks or undies in the kids drawers. You know you've lived out of your laundry basket, too.

Tonight I finally had a chance to get the laundry put away. My other routine...after living out of the baskets for a few days...is to put the girls in the tub about 15 minutes early. I make it extra hot so they don't start complaining that it's cold for awhile. I break out all the amenities...bubbles, foam, special bath toys, wash clothes for everyone. This always buys me another 10-15 minutes. While they play I go from room to room putting away their clothes. I don't have any worries about them in the tub...there isn't room for anyone to drowned. And Baileigh is quick to inform me (tattle) if anyone is standing or pouring water out of the tub. It's an exceptional night if I get everything put away, including underwear and socks. It's a very good night if I get everything put away put have a sock pile of odd socks sitting on someones dresser. It's a good night if I have socks to sort and a stack of My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Tinker Bell, Flowers, Dora, and Cinderella underwear waiting to be sorted by size. It's an okay night if I get the correct clothes in the correct room sitting on top of a dresser waiting to be put away or hung up the next day.

The thing that really stinks, really, really, really stinks...emptying the baskets of clean clothes, finally, just to find all the hampers filled with dirty clothes waiting to be washed. Forgot about a cleaning lady...I just want a laundry lady. Someone to come in and wash and fold clothes and put them away one day a week! A girl can dream!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

HAHA! You should see the huge mountain of unfolded laundry in my family room right now! Sometimes I try to sound really enthusiastic, and like something great is about to happen, and say to my family "I know what we're going to do! We're going to have a folding party! Doesn't that sound GREAT?!?" You should see their faces.....HAHA!

nilvento said...

Wait until they get older and you can delegate the laundry out...I make Chelsey put her own laundry away. She also knows how to do laundry as well. In our house, everyone puts their own laundry away. I hate it too....Part of the reason for that is cause Joe hates the way I fold his laundry so he likes to refold it the way he wants it....I tell him, just be happy you have someone that does fold it....and BTW....my pet peeve is people in my house who don't fold the laundry out of the dryer and just dump it in the basket! Bleech!

bondgirl said...

even when it was just the two of us we had 8 loads in the winter with the layers that brian wears - i hate trying to get it all done, folded and laid out in piles to be put away only for it to be moved to the floor and sit there for days (i can't reach bri's shelves)