Tuesday, December 04, 2007

One Night Down, One To Go

Last night was a success. I don't really ever say this...but I think I was a little funny! Things went smoothly overall. No glitches with sound, or lighting etc. The program as a whole ran about 30 minutes longer then scheduled but that was primarily due to delays with the food servers...and that was just with 215 women attending, tonight there are 355. I'm definitely glad I got the chance to work out the kinks on the first night with a smaller crowd. I forgot one or two things that I had really wanted to say, but I guess I'm the only one who is aware of that fact. My nerves kicked in a little bit when the women were being seated, but they soon passed.

I got good feedback and heard several times that the entire atmosphere of the evening felt much more relaxed and less stiff and formal then in years past. I like to think that has something to do with my style as an emcee and my attempts to get the women to kick back and enjoy themselves and slow down for one night during this crazy time of year.

Our speaker was fantastic. She is an amazing women that actually came to know the Lord last year as a result of this same Christmas banquet. She has a powerful testimony and God is using her in big ways. She had about 15 family members that attended last night and several of them are not believers so I know that the personal story she shared really effected a lot of them who have been a part of her history. One of the coolest parts of being involved in this thing is feeling like I've made a new friend in this girl.

Yesterday was all about the banquet. I spent a few hours in the afternoon helping get set up, then rushed home to get ready, then headed back early to continue to help and practice. This morning we skipped the gym so I could have a little time with the girls to relax and recover. I'll head back to the banquet hall as soon as Brad gets home for round two. I'm looking forward to getting my life back after this evening...my house and family have been neglected and my refrigerator is essentially empty.

I'll admit though, that this change in pace from the norm has been fun and I really enjoyed the chance to be a part of this event and to have the sole responsibility of trying to make people have fun. It's really much easier then you think...if you're not concerned with what people think or the possibility of looking like a fool, then it's a piece of cake, ahem.

7 comments:

lovin' life said...

I am so happy that things went well last night. I was praying for laughs and that you would feel great about the experience. Praise the Lord for church outreaches that bring people in to a comfortable setting to hear the gospel.
Love, JayLynn

Amy said...

Glad to hear it went well. It was fun to see that you had posted about it this morning. I was wondering how it went. Thanks for serving! Sounds like a fun night!

Royal Cuties said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying yes to this! I was so confident in your gifts, that I knew it would be great. It was even better than I had hoped - I think God must have given you an extra measure of fun-ness so you could pull this off for Him!

Anonymous said...

WE WANT PICTURES!!! HA HA

Jodi said...

I knew you would be great! I see it all now: a future as a stand-up, church banquet emcee for hire!! :)

LDraper said...

For the record, I think you're pretty darn funny! :)

Tylertopia said...

That's awesome, glad it went well...although I never doubted it for a second. :o)I'll totally buy front row tickets to your stand-up opening night!