Friday, October 19, 2007

Ranger

Ranger isn't himself today. I'm hoping his stomach is upset from all the pumpkins he has been stealing and eating. That is what I'm hoping.

He is 9 years old this month. He also has a lot of tumors. A few years ago a vet told us this was fairly common in older large breed dogs, but they have multiplied and without a biopsy we don't really know if they are still the common benign tumors or something else. Despite his aging, Ranger continues to act like a big puppy and is usually energetic and happy. He has become more of a barker in his later life, not a new habit we enjoy, but overall he is a happy dog that seems to love being a part of our family.

I got a little emotional about him this morning and that led to the girls crying as well. Baileigh suggested we take pictures of him (hmm...wonder where she gets that from?!) and then said she wants to get a new photo album and fill it with pictures of Ranger so she'll have it in the future when he dies. She even said it like that..."in the future". Who knows, I could be blogging about his pumpkin eating antics next October from Europe, or DC, or Africa (do they have pumpkins there?), or Colorado...that is a variable that is as known as Ranger's number of days.

Like I said, I think he has pumpkin tummy...but his lethargic demeanor, heavy breathing and lack of interest in treats has me concerned. We spent some time giving him some love medicine this morning.



If a dog can be loved to death then I'll understand.

No comments: