Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Planes, Trains, Automobiles...and Boats!

I've been fortunate to spend some time in NYC in the past...but after the past 36 hours I feel like I truly know the city! Admittedly that doesn't mean I occasionally loose my sense of which way is north and still need to review my subway map to make sure I get on the right line, but I am comfortable and confident negotiating the Big Apple.

We got off the train in Penn Station around 3:30 and headed to our hotel in Time Square. We spent the remainder of the evening shopping and eating!
We took a cab about 10 blocks downtown to a small restaurant called Punch that had been recommended to us by some friends. It was upscale without being pretentious and the food was good but not too expensive.


After dinner we returned to Time Square. Our hotel was next door to Madame Tussauds Wax museum. Admission was 50% off for the remainder of the evening so we decided why not. The manikins are truly amazing...it almost feels awkward to get right up in their face and examine them because you feel like you are standing in someones personal space.

Saturday morning we had some breakfast and Dean and Deluca's in Rockefeller Center, just outside the NBC studios.
We stopped in the Experience NBC store and I was so tempted to buy some goodies from The Office...who could resist the Dwight Schrute bobble head doll!
We headed off to Central Park via a walk along 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue for some window shopping. When we learned that the fall tea wasn't on this garden patio but was upstairs in a small room that seemed like something a great grandma decorated, we decided to pass and enjoy the beautiful afternoon and enjoy a carriage ride through Central Park.

This is the patio at Tavern on the Green where they had tea this summer, but it moves inside for the fall season. It's beautifully landscaped with shrubs trimmed in the shape of animals and hanging paper lanterns from the trees.

Since we skipped the tea we decided to enjoy they beautiful weather by taking a carriage ride through Central Park.
We grabbed a quick bite of authentic NYC pizza...not tea at the Tavern, but it was about $30 dollars cheaper and better!

After pizza we hopped on the subway and went downtown to the financial district to get on the ferry to Staten Island. The ferry is free and similar to the expensive narrated harbor cruises.
Right behind the two glass buildings on the left that are the same height with the green dome roofs is where the twin towers once stood.
This is construction at ground zero. There is a viewing area and a tribute area with a temporary wall of names of those killed on 9/11 and artist renderings of what the memorial will look like and the 7 new buildings being built.
We took the subway through the financial district and I was amazed that some routes are still not open around ground zero and a few stops look just like they did in terms of damage and destruction five years ago!

We headed back uptown via a stop at Canal street which is famous for it's knock off handbags and watches...it's a crazy scene there...I think I was so distracted that I never even thought to take a picture.

We stopped by our hotel for a quick break. After changing we were off again to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. The show was incredible...it's amazing how technology has enhanced what they can do on stage.

We didn't allow ourselves enough time before the show for a nice dinner, so afterwards, despite being tired, we forced ourselves to go out one more time since it was our last night out on the town! Pathetic, I know...but don't forget we started exploring the city at 8:30 am and had probably walked at least 6 or 7 miles throughout the day. We. Were. Tired!



We had some appetizers and cheesecake at Juniors on 45th! Great place that I highly recommend!

When I got out of bed on Sunday morning I told Trish and Shelly that I felt more sore and stiff after our full day then I have after some of my triathlons! We hung out at a Starbucks for a little while and then took a cab down to Penn Station for our return train ride home. We met Brad and the girls for lunch on our drive back to the airport. The girls were just as excited to see Aunt Tricia and Aunt Shelly as they were mommy!
We had an amazing weekend! This was the first time in 10 years that we had done something like this and we all agreed that we needed to try to do it again in the next five years! These girls have been in my life for 30 years and we literally grew up together. I'm so thankful that I have sisters in these two friends! Can't wait for our next girl's weekend!

2 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I have two lifelong girlfriends that are like that to me and your post makes me so homesick for them.

I'm glad you guys had so much fun. And it must be cool to feel that confident in the city!

nilvento said...

sounds like you all had a great time...I'm looking forward to my NYC weekend as well!