Friday, January 19, 2007

Living Under A Microscope

It has begun. The on-the-market madness. Our house is officially for sale.

I guess I should be thankful that the first twenty four hours of having our house in the MLS system has been a little crazy. We had 4 realtor's call, two looked at the house today with clients, one is scheduled for Sunday, and I anticipate a few more tomorrow. Considering we had about 3 offers in the first two days in NJ you would think I may be disappointed...but the market is much different out here and having this much traffic on our first weekend is encouraging.

That said, I hate living in a house that is for sale. It brings out the worst in my anal tendencies that I combat on a daily basis. Having children has helped me let go of the need to have a clean house, however, not the desire. Knowing that my house is going to be viewed with much scrutiny by prospective buyers basically sets me over the edge and I become the Housekeeper-Nazi. This isn't a good combination with a baby that throws bananas all over the floor, a three year old that always tips over her big girl cup, and a five year old that seems to be following in mommy's tidy obsession and becomes a pre-K version of the mommy Housekeeper-Nazi and yells orders at her younger sisters. Oh yeah, and my two 80lb. dogs and their shedding hair and smelly presents left in the backyard aren't an asset either.

So this is how it goes. Realtor calls. I calmly say that it would be fine if they come in 15 minutes. I hang up the phone kicking myself for being such a people pleaser and wondering why I didn't ask them to give me 30 minutes. Then I begin to twirl around the house, much like the Tasmanian Devil in a cleaning frenzy while I bark orders at the kids. I run around flushing toilets, wiping counters, picking up socks, hiding toys, eating old Cheerios off the floor, shoving dog pillows under the bed, turning on lights, blowing out candles, washing dishes...I think you get the ugly picture. All this in hopes that someone will come in my house and be overwhelmed by the peace and tranquility and warm sense of home that they feel...that I just created in my frenzy...and that they can experience on a daily basis for the rest of their lives for the right price.

The fun doesn't end there. Then I get to load everyone into the Suburban, including the two excited dogs and we drive. In circles. Nowhere. Killing time. Waiting. Watching. Wondering. Is this my life for the next week? The next month? Months? I'm not sure if anyone in my family can handle that prospect.

The other thing I have failed to mention is that we aren't using a realtor. Why not? Why?...said my husband. Note, my husband. There is a thing called MLS4Owner in the NW and basically you pay a nominal fee and in return you are given an MLS# so you are "in the system" for realtors and they put a sign in the yard. We're responsible for flyers, an open house if we choose, and working with the realtors. It really isn't a big difference then normally showing the house, until a possible offer is presented. Then we may have to consult a real estate attorney and deal with the escrow company on our own. This is a little intimidating but Brad is pretty savvy in this stuff. However, he is going to be gone the month of February and therefore...I may be doing this on my own. I think I gave into the idea when Brad offered to let me have 75% of the profit we would make that would normally go to a realtor! I confess, I was enticed and begrudgingly agreed.

In the midst of the distraction of preparing our house, I have had my sad and sentimental moments about all the memories we have created in this home. This was where we brought home baby Brooke. This is where Baileigh has celebrated her 3, 4, and 5th birthdays! Mckenna was just 13 months when we first moved here. Brooke will be 13 months when we leave here. Crazy how time passes so quickly! There are some things I would change, but I have truly loved this house and have felt blessed and fortunate to call it home.

I guess I should be thankful that tonight I won't be painting baseboards at 1:00am, or organizing my linen closets, or scrubbing my stove. Tonight the house is clean. Tonight I will go to bed before the next day begins. Tonight I will enjoy my house. Tomorrow we wait. Tomorrow, we go back under the microscope.

3 comments:

Double A's Mom said...

Well said! You precisely captured what I was feeling about four months ago. I hope it goes well for you.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I can offer a better alternative to driving around in circles. Give me a call and see if we're home -- the dogs can go in the backyard, we can sit and talk, and the girls can play while you wait!

Anonymous said...

We're hoping to have a sign in our yard by the end of the week. We're rented a storage unit to keep some "stuff." I'm not excited about packing and keeping it clean. Not sure if your blog made me more excited or less. . .If you have any great advice, we'll take it! Love ya, Larsey