Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby Update


Today was the second time I went to my new Ob's office. I go weekly now and I'll have an exam every week. I'm 36 weeks on Friday.

I met another doctor today. He was very nice and made me pretty comfortable despite being male (I prefer female ob/gyns). He said head is down and baby is face down. He also said it has started to drop and that it is almost perfectly centered. He pretty much said if they could place the baby in a perfect position it is about 1/4 inch to the right of that but that is well within margin of error. He seemed pleased.

Today I got the Strep B test but that was the extent of my exam. I assumed the doctor would check to see if I started dilating. I told him I've been having a lot of contractions, but nothing consistent or too close. When he learned it was my fourth and we talked about my history he said he didn't want to check and see if I was dilating. Essentially he said that with the first baby the cervix is textbook and it's very easy to do an exam and determine how much your dilating. However, with each additional baby he said the cervix changes and it gets harder to get an accurate check on the cervix without being a little more invasive. He said the result of his exam could be enough to encourage the onset of labor and since the only thing it would do is determine if I've begun dilating but doesn't really change anything at this point he would prefer to wait. He essentially asked if I was prepared to go into labor tonight because it could increase the odds. I essentially said, no! So next week, when I'm a few days shy of 37 weeks I'll probably risk the exam so we can check on the progress.

I've been induced with all three girls. We're still debating the option. If I go that route it would be around March 20. There are a lot of pros and a few cons. We'll wait to see what we learn next week and maybe pray in the meantime that it happens naturally...at a convenient time. Is that praying for a miracle?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That all sounds like things are going great!! Sounds like this one might be a rule follower. So far he or she is doing what they are supposed to. Hang in there just a few more weeks to go. :)

Sherry

Anonymous said...

Glad you are liking your new OB. Enjoy your last few weeks as a family of five!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Well, you are getting close...how fun!
Sandy toe

Lisa said...

Oh, wow, it's getting close now! I had no idea that it gets harder to check the cervix after multiple pregnancies without an invasive exam. Guess I won't be in a rush this time to find out if I'm dilating! Glad you like your new OB's office. I remember you mentioning switching to civilian recently. Any particular reason why you switched? This is my first time going military... I'll be delivering at National Naval Medical Center. So far so good with my military care, but I'm nervous since my previous two pregnancies were all through civilian providers (in Georgia.)

Anonymous said...

So exciting! You're almost there! I am happy to hear everything is going smoothly. :o)

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

36 weeks? Wow. How quickly your life will change, my friend! Be careful. And yes, soak up the time with the girls -- although they are going to be so good with the baby. I think you'll have a little Moma in Baileigh, a performer (to try to make baby laugh) in Mckenna, and a lovebug in Brooke. We'll see if I'm right.

Triple Trouble said...

Oh boy! oh boy! (or girl!) it's getting close now. Can't wait to find out if Brad was right all along!! And if so, I want to know if he's ever had any dreams about us winning the lottery??