Sunday, March 01, 2009

Being Tested!

I think God is testing me. Or perhaps it's Satan. I'm not going to get into a theoretical debate...my point is that I'm going through a real test. A trial. In mature moments I try to see it as an opportunity for growth. A chance to practice the fruit of the spirit in action. The majority of the time I see it as a month of learning to bite my tongue. Of working on my poker face.

It's March Mustache Month. Yep. March Mustache Month.

I didn't realize this was an annual event...at least in my husband's world and any of his friends and co-workers that he can lure into his competitive and immature contest. Last year he was part of a graduate class of 16 so I somewhat understood the comradely and the team player aspect. This year I think he is spearheading the ridiculous event. Last year I tried to establish "April Abstinence Month" to follow "March Mustache Month"...there were a few guys in Brad's class that I think took the treat literally and succumbed to their wife's requests to not participate. I made that threat again...but considering my due date and recovery...well "April Abstinence Month" happens under doctor's orders anyway.

So it's March 1st...I haven't said anything about Brad's weekend stubble...I know where it's headed tomorrow morning when he shaves. Ironically, I love a goatee on Brad and wish he could wear one in the military. The mustache...another story. So every day I wake up, literally faced with this challenge and trial laying on the pillow next to me...and I'm not going to say a word. That is my goal. My test. This post doesn't count...it's my own sounding board and I'm allowed to express my thoughts so take it in that light, not as complaining...I don't want to blemish my perfect record considering it's the first day of the month.

Despite not complaining, I'm not above blackmail. I may have said I was fine with the mustache thing if I can go purchase the girl's bunkbeds. We're probably getting bunkbeds this weekend.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

you make me laugh!

Lisa said...

Very funny post! I hear ya on Mustache March... seems like it's a big thing at my husband's school. Hubby knows he looks rediculous with one, so he's opting out of the tradition (thank goodness!) I really wish that they'd allow goatees in the military.... my Hubby looks soooo sexy with a goatee (well, in my opinion, of course!) I'm sorry that you have to spend the month of March biting your tongue! Um, can you make it your Lenten sacrifice?!

Shell in your Pocket said...

How funny.
sandy toe

Kathy said...

Nice. nasty. Mustaches?!!! Good luck with that! Although, if you can get new bunkbeds out of the deal... :)

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I remember when Adam was activated and came home with a moustache. I was not a fan... so it didn't last long. So excited to hear about the baby! I think Lisa is totally right about how the girls will be. ;) Hope everything goes well!